ALPA 's Insurance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RJET

My probationary period just ended and ALPA was right on time on deducting their unions fees. My question is what do you guys think on their insurance offers, are they worth getting? ALPA Disability sump $50,000, Loss of License Disiability $1,200, and Life Member for $30,000
I am new to the unions and their benefits. Are these insurances one of those where you pay and pay but when you actually need their benefits is like pulling teeths or "should have read the small print" scenarios.
Thanks

All fine questions, my young apprentice!

If your company offers it's own "Loss of Licence" or "Short/Long-term Disability" then do this...take a look at the premiums and compare them to the ALPA insurance. Notice anything? Sure. The ALPA insurance is MORE! Why is that you ask? Let me explain...

I signed up for the company Short/Long-term Disability and in July I found a temporary condition that prevents me from flying for about six months. No problem. I fill out the claim form and about two weeks later I get a response that says "...although you are unable to perform the duties of a pilot there are no reasons why you cannot obtain gainful employment elsewhere...so go get a job!"

What the insurance company was saying is that although I lost my medical I was not homebound and on a respirator so technically I could work...at something!

Should I have carried the ALPA insurance then they will cut you a check every month if you only lose your medical. So if you cannot fly but you can work at Walmart you get your ALPA disability check and your Walmart check...how sweet it is!

My advice is get the ALPA insurance but don't overinsure yourself. Get the coverage you need for your rent/mortgage payment and one car payment. That will be the majority of your living expenses and you can find something to do to make up for the rest.

That's my advice and I'm sticking to it!

Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike.

I spoke to the ALPA rep today and he said that for $50,000 lump sump and the $1200 a month Disiability coverage I would have to be out a flying job for at least a 12 month period. I guess have to do some numbers and see if I can pay ALPA for being healthy and so can benefit in case sh&t happens. I was just curious what experiences other pilots have had.

Latest resources

Back