• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
ALPA Receives Collier as Part of CAST
ALPA proudly joins in the shared success of all Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST) participating organizations in receiving the prestigious 2008 Collier Trophy for advancing aviation safety.
“CAST’s tremendous collective effort began more than 10 years ago with ALPA as a charter member,” said Capt. John Prater, ALPA’s president. “Today, through the tremendous resources provided by many organizations and the tireless dedication of hundreds of individuals, CAST has eliminated significant risks and created a quantum leap in aviation safety.”

In 1998, Vice-President Al Gore, Transportation Secretary Rodney Slater, and FAA Administrator Jane Garvey created the Safer Skies Program, which led to the development of the government-industry Commercial Aviation Safety Team. CAST was charged with reducing the airline fatal-accident rate by 80 percent over a 10-year period from 1997 to 2007.
CAST employs a disciplined, data-driven approach of analyzing safety information, identifying accident precursors, developing specific safety enhancements to address these precursors, implementing and tracking the success of the specific safety enhancement, and using that information to improve the overall safety of the air transportation system. CAST has developed a consensus list of 70 safety enhancements. To date, 48 safety enhancements have been completed, and 22 are under way.
“The Collier Trophy and the remarkable success of CAST are a tribute to the powerful potential of government-labor-industry collaboration and the tremendous benefit that it holds for all who rely on air transportation,” concluded Prater. “ALPA looks forward to continuing to work with CAST in what must be a relentless pursuit of an ever-safer aviation industry.”

Established in 1911, the Collier Trophy is a national award honoring those who have made significant achievements in advancing aviation. This is the third time that ALPA has been part of the Collier Trophy award. ALPA received its first Collier Trophy in 1995 for the Association’s work on the Boeing 777 aircraft design. ALPA received its second Collier Trophy in 2008, when the Association was recognized as part of the team developing ADS-B.

As if they were the only member.

Government
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) www.faa.gov European Aviation Safety Authority (EASA/JAA) www.easa.eu.int/home National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) www.nasa.gov Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/menu.htm U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) www.defenselink.mil
Employee Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) www.alpa.org Allied Pilots Association (APA) www.alliedpilots.org International Federation of Air Line Pilots' Associations (IFALPA) www.ifalpa.org National Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA) www.natca.org
Industry Aerospace Industries Association of America Inc. (AIA) www.aia-aerospace.org Airbus www.airbus.com Air Transport Association of America Inc. (ATA) www.airlines.org The Boeing Company www.boeing.com Flight Safety Foundation www.flightsafety.org GE Aviation (representing all engine manufacturers) www.geae.com Regional Airline Association (RAA) www.raa.org
Observers Airports Council International www.aci-na.org Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) www.atac.ca Association of Asia Pacific Airlines (AAPA) www.aapairlines.org Association of Professional Flight Attendants (APFA) (representing all flight attendant organizations) www.apfa.org Civil Aviation Safety Authority of Australia (CASA) www.casa.gov.au International Air Transport Association (IATA) www.iata.org International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) www.icao.int National Air Carrier Association (NACA) www.naca.cc National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)

As if they were the only member.

As if....

ALPA proudly joins in the shared success of all Commercial Aviation Safety Team (CAST) participating organizations in receiving the prestigious 2008 Collier Trophy for advancing aviation safety.

It was the first sentence....

That's funny.I don't see USAPA's name listed in there anywhere. Too busy working on that DOH fantasy list, I guess....

PHXFLYR

That's funny.I don't see USAPA's name listed in there anywhere. Too busy working on that DOH fantasy list, I guess....

PHXFLYR

PHXFLYR-

Recall when Sully testified to Congress he stated Air Line Pilots Association, International. Never did he say USAPA or any variant of it....

Perhaps. I didn't follow all the media generated "sully-mania" to be quite honest with you. But I was told he was wearing a USAPA pin at the superbowl game. Not that it makes much of a difference anymore, I guess.

PHXFLYR:cool:

Perhaps. I didn't follow all the media generated "sully-mania" to be quite honest with you. But I was told he was wearing a USAPA pin at the superbowl game. Not that it makes much of a difference anymore, I guess.

PHXFLYR:cool:

I didn't follow it either.... I read his testimony straight from the Sub Committee of Aviation website...

Skiles had good testimony too.....

As far as the USAPA pin.... he wasn't wearing it at first, later you start to see him with the pin on...

Just my opinion, but Sully is an unwilling pax on the USAPA ride....

Latest resources

Back