Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying Illini

Hit me Peter!
You hear good and bad about ALPA but it seems to be mostly bad. Is ALPA the only union out there? Do you have to join ALPA? If you don't do they come and break your legs? Do you end up on some "list" for not joining?

Thanks for answering a non-union guys questions.

ALPA is not the only union out there.

You don't have to join ALPA, but if you don't you still have to pay most of the dues.

Flechas said:
You don't have to join ALPA, but if you don't you still have to pay most of the dues.
Exactly. A lot of airlines are "agency shop" where you have to pay dues to whatever union is on the property. Since you are paying, you may as well join and get the services available.

A lot of people bitch about ALPA and how they are ineffective in dealing with contract negotiations, a common complaint at Eagle. Regardless, I see it as "Job Insurance". If nothing else, I know that if I get in trouble somehow with the company or the FAA, the union will go to bat for me. They actually have a pretty good record of getting people's jobs back when they get in trouble.

LAXSaabdude.

Last edited:
LAXSaabdude said:
Regardless, I see it as "Job Insurance". If nothing else, I know that if I get in trouble somehow with the company or the FAA, the union will go to bat for me.

LAXSaabdude.

That's the way I see it too.

ALPA is legal insurance and thats it.They do not look out for airline pilots, provide any sort of unity within the industry or do much of anything else. Lots of people will chime in I'm sure and explain why ALPA can't do any better for a starting salary than 18K at the regional level; and all that jazz aside....ALPA just doesn't provide anything of value to the airline pilot starting out today. So join AOPA and get the legal insurance.

At one point airline pilots made good money and had a great lifestyle and that was thanks to ALPA. Its just not the case anymore.

Do steal an ALPA sticker or something to stick on your flight bag. It will spare you long booooooring conversations.

cynic said:
ALPA is legal insurance and thats it.They do not look out for airline pilots, provide any sort of unity within the industry or do much of anything else. Lots of people will chime in I'm sure and explain why ALPA can't do any better for a starting salary than 18K at the regional level; and all that jazz aside....ALPA just doesn't provide anything of value to the airline pilot starting out today. So join AOPA and get the legal insurance.

At one point airline pilots made good money and had a great lifestyle and that was thanks to ALPA. Its just not the case anymore.

When was that the case? During the Century strike? The EAL/CAL fiasco? When Pan Am went under? What about Braniff?

Your post is entirely ancedontal. If you are going to critique ALPA then get informed.

Did ALPA provide you a great lifestyle and career when you were flying the Beech, Lear, Cessna or Piper?

Latest resources

Back