ALPA question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Did you vote for them?
No. I did not vote for the current group. I did however vote. I also participated in as many events over the years and months leading up to the contract vote as possible. And they were many.

sorry to spark a flame! i was asking that question because our airline is looking into alpa. some people said we couldnt join because we were to small? we have over 250 active so i didnt know where they wer getting the info. We did call alpa today and found out not only do we qualify but our airline is doing some talking to them. we are currently with 747 which seems to be falling, and fast

No minimum threshold at all. Some pilots at your carrier have already been in touch with the Representation Department. If you need more info, I think you have my number. If not, PM me.

Actually, you need a 4th. The one that you did not mention is the member who doesn't know his contract, does not engage in the process, always complains in the crew lounge about things he has not taken the time to research, never attends meetings, never reads the communications that the Communication Chairman distributes, never votes, but most of the time pays his dues. How do you know? Because he is the first to tell you thinking that "paying his dues" gives him a license to abuse others who volunteer their time to try and make a difference.

Oh yeah, but he finds the time to post on FI to criticize and complain to those who enjoy the entertainment value of his post but can't fix his problems. And the definition of insanity is, doing the same old things and expecting a different result!

If the shoe fits,..............!

Thank you

Best. Post. EVER!

Speedtape,

I'll agree that there are those for who that shoe would fit. I am not one of them. Your self-righteous post assumes quite a bit.

Sorry if you felt insulted. I am glad the shoe does not fit for you. It does not fit for me either. However, when I hear people attacking others who step up to the plate and volunteer, the shoe usually does fit.

To the original poster:

For the record, ALPA has improved the QOL at my airline over the term of my employment for all our pilots. ALPA is only as good as you want to make it as a pilot group. It requires effort and responsibility on each member in order for it to work well. It's not always perfect because "people" are involved. However, when they are all pulling on the same end of the rope with a common goal, great things can happen. On the other hand, when there is no unity and common goals, you might as well not have it on the property.

In one sense, ALPA offers nothing more than empowerment to a pilot group. It offers a proven plan, structure, and a tool box to organize your pilot group and help bargain for better work rules, pay, and job security. However, the pilot group has to invest and engage to make it work. Hopefully, you can elect capable and talented people to lead, and then staff the other committee positions with members that can support the leadership and the membership. Those leaders need direction by the membership so mutual goals can be attained that has the support of the general membership. Then you need members who will participate and support the leadership that they have elected to achieve those mutual goals. That's the ideal world. Like everything else, you get what you put into it.

Last edited:
sorry to spark a flame! i was asking that question because our airline is looking into alpa. some people said we couldnt join because we were to small? we have over 250 active so i didnt know where they wer getting the info. We did call alpa today and found out not only do we qualify but our airline is doing some talking to them. we are currently with 747 which seems to be falling, and fast

Who do you work for?

Latest resources

Back