ALPA post on ASA/EXPRESS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

buscap

Atlantic Southeast Airlines Pilots Encouraged by Management Talks with ExpressJet
Merger Between the Two Airlines Appears Promising

Atlanta—Atlantic Southeast Airlines (ASA) pilots, represented by the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), today expressed strong support for the pilots of ExpressJet and the proposed merger of the two airlines. Just last month, ASA’s parent company, SkyWest Holdings Inc., announced it intends to purchase ExpressJet and to combine it with ASA. This week, the ASA and ExpressJet pilot groups developed a framework with the managements of SkyWest and ASA to complete a transition agreement and to address pilot concerns.

“We’re very pleased that SkyWest and ASA managements were able to work with the parties involved and find common ground,” said Capt. Dave Nieuwenhuis, chair of the ASA unit of ALPA. “As we move forward in the merger process, pilot support will be increasingly important to a successful outcome. The ASA pilots are committed to a process that provides for long-term career growth and stability for all pilots involved.”

Should the merger be concluded, ASA would be the largest regional airline in the world, with approximately 4,300 pilots, and would rival many mainline carriers in size and number of destinations. The merged airline would also have a substantially larger route structure, widening its footprint to include the entire United States rather than just the Southeast.

“The road to any merger can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be,” continued Capt. Nieuwenhuis. “If crafted, developed and administered well, the merger of ASA and XJT can lead to a corporate platform that serves as a model for the rest of the industry—a safe, high quality, efficient, and profitable powerhouse that respects and shares success with its hardworking professionals. We look forward

“The ASA pilots are committed to a process that provides for long-term career growth and stability for all pilots involved.”

Is there such a thing in this industry? Pan-Am? Eastern? TWA? Comair? Personally, if I can make 2x the amount doing basically the same job, I probably won't stay...unless they successfully turn into a stand-alone carrier. Holding breath...[gasp]...NOW.

Should the merger be concluded, ASA would be the largest regional airline in the world, with approximately 4,300 pilots, and would rival many mainline carriers in size and number of destinations. The merged airline would also have a substantially larger route structure, widening its footprint to include the entire United States rather than just the Southeast.

Including Salt Lake and the west coast?

The road to any merger can be difficult, but it doesn’t have to be,” continued Capt. Nieuwenhuis."

As Samuel L Jackson said in Jurassic Park: "Hold onto your butts!"

“If crafted, developed and administered well, the merger of ASA and XJT can lead to a corporate platform that serves as a model for the rest of the industry—a safe, high quality, efficient, and profitable powerhouse that respects and shares success with its hardworking professionals.

[Sound of air violently leaving lungs from holding breath]
HAHAHAHAHA! There are a few things that I would love management to clearly define in writing here. 1) Respect, 2)Success, and 3)Hardworking Professionals

My goodness. Why do I have to be so cynical?!

Maybe it's because I just saw Comair, an industry powerhouse just a few short years ago, transform from a regional juggernaut into a pathetic, dying, bleeding animal on the shoulder of the freeway. (which DL continues to kick)

Or maybe, it's because I saw 2 waves of furloughs on the ASA side and ZERO furloughs on the SkyWest side...and SkyWest was hiring.

Or maybe because AirTran is going on 6 years of contract negotiations.

Or maybe it's because a planeload of passengers witnessed a Flight Attendant pushed over the edge, activate the slide, and zip away with a beer.

Come to think of it...I don't think "Going Postal" is appropriate anymore. They have job security---and the lack of incident on their side indicates that the torch is ready to be passed.

"GOING AIRLINE!" is the new crazy. AHHH!

The best thing Skyw pilots can do is stay away from this like the plague. Let ASA and Express Jet battle this out as long as possible, meanwhile SKYW can take advantage of the situation to get more growth.

The best thing Skyw pilots can do is stay away from this like the plague. Let ASA and Express Jet battle this out as long as possible, meanwhile SKYW can take advantage of the situation to get more growth.

are you even a airline pilot?

...........and what "growth" is that? Regionals will be consolidating and losing ground. Not growing.

It should read 7000 pilot strong. Oh well.

SkyWest is trying to hurry along our pay negotiations to use against the new ASA combined pilot group. Sorry I said negotiations in the same sentence as SkyWest. I like the pilots on our student counsel very much, but neither SAPA or SkyWest are bound by a CBA for fair negotiation.

For the record, Yes, I have discussed with my SAPA rep my desire to combine the 3 lists.

SkyWest is trying to hurry along our pay negotiations to use against the new ASA combined pilot group. Sorry I said negotiations in the same sentence as SkyWest. I like the pilots on our student counsel very much, but neither SAPA or SkyWest are bound by a CBA for fair negotiation.

For the record, Yes, I have discussed with my SAPA rep my desire to combine the 3 lists.

God bless you.

What was your "rep's" response?

Latest resources

Back