• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA on Emirates and Etihad

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh wait, they probably FORGOT that.......thanks for reminding them. The STREET article says you are WRONG......Read the title again please. Is the UAE a poor nation? That is what the Em IM Bank is supposed to help, poor countries. It's time to cut the rebates for you. No wonder you can order 100 777s at a time, and Boeing LOVES it...... Time to stop and play fair...

Bye Bye---General Lee

wait a minute, did you just call America a poor country when Delta borrows cheap money from the import.export bank of Canada to buy Bombardier products?

wait a minute, did you just call America a poor country when Delta borrows cheap money from the import.export bank of Canada to buy Bombardier products?

It must be, but we all know EK doesn't need a dime from the bank when itself is bankrolled by the UAE Govt, right? You keep evading the question. Does EK need the subsidies? DL doesn't buy all their planes via the Ex Im bank, but EK apparently buys their 100 777s through them? Do they need it?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Now i got him all huffy puffy again, mission accomplished, like a cat in a corner being chased with a vacuum cleaner

Isn't that cat chasing illegal in Dubai? What would happen to you if you got caught? 2 years in jail?

Bye Bye---General Lee

It must be, but we all know EK doesn't need a dime from the bank when itself is bankrolled by the UAE Govt, right? You keep evading the question. Does EK need the subsidies? DL doesn't buy all their planes via the Ex Im bank, but EK apparently buys their 100 777s through them? Do they need it?

Bye Bye---General Lee

no, EK doesn't need the subsidies, but is it EK's fault that America is giving them a break? No

Write to your politicians.

And it is the other way around, UAE govt is bankrolled by Emirates Airline.

But I make more on the A320 and it will be around 6 years

Don't forget quality of life.. US versus ME?

Actually you don't. I posted a breakdown of the pay but just edited it for obvious irs reasons. When you factor in the tax breaks and add the allowances an EK captain makes more than you. But who gives a sh#t? Do you hang out with your buddies and argue who makes more money? Pretty pathetic dude. We've been hiring a lot of Qantas pilots lately because they don't see a future there. Just flew with a guy whose father retired a few years ago. Said the senior ones are still making 350-400k/year. EK pay must be decent to leave that, even if it's a shrinking company.

You asked if EK pilots would go to UAL/AMR/DAl/Fedex if offered a job. I have a seniority number at one of those carriers and I'm debating whether to take the recall. Tough choice. Living in the US is a big plus. The paycut, less vacation, and dealing with US aviation again is a big minus. But the job protections over the next 25-30 years has me leaning towards going back. However if it was as a newhire at one of those airlines I probably wouldn't. I would more likely just head to Asia after burning out on the middle east. Contract flying can be fun. The only job i would leave EK for without question would be fedex/ups.

You guys sound a bit pathetic with this my job is better than yours bs. We are all in the same industry trying to make a living. WTF? Get a life.

General of course EK doesn't need the subsidies. But they would be idiotic not to take them. If your bank called you and offered to modify your interest rate to 0% would you say "no thanks?"

Last edited:
All of you American pilots flying for Emirates under the age of 50:

Answer this truthfully

If Delta, United , American , SWA, UPS or FedEx offers you a job, will you say no thanks or jump on it?.

I know this is an emotional topic and you are just making a broad statement, but it is not impossible for you to envision somebody happy working abroad with no interest to start at the bottom of the pile? I know many people that have cero interest in starting again, I'm 48 and I feel that after three times in the majors marry go round, the ship sailed. I mean you can envision people that are happy working abroad can't you?

I disagree with your disagree. :))) Anyway, Turk has a hub closer to Europe, and actually can legally fly to ANYWHERE in Europe, and they do. If you look at their map, they have A321s to almost every large European city, when the ME airlines are still restricted.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's a waste of time to argue on the internet so I will make it brief. Why don't you see analysts writing articles talking about Turkish reshaping modern aviation? It's not gonna happen man. EK doesn't fly 321's because they don't want them. 787's were considered too small to purchase. Turkish fleet pales in comparison. EK flies 777 300ER's on 40 minute sectors, and they are full. Everywhere they send them the planes are full. The only thing slowing EK at the moment is a lack of airplanes. Tim Clark said he would buy another 30 380's tomorrow if he had enough gate space for them.

Dubai just passed CDG as the second busiest airport in the world for international traffic. They are forecast to pass LHR and be number 1 by 2015. That is unless IST jumps from #17 to #1...lol

Check the EK route map. If EK isn't there already they are coming. I wish it was a US airline flying 112 non stop flights to the UK each week using 77W's and 380's. Not trying to be an EK cheerleader just telling it like it is. Hopefully somebody can slow them down.

Its hopeless Mr. Green, I was first stating facts and correcting Delta guy's "Facts" and he turns it into a "which job is better" match when you prove him wrong time and time again. He lives in a hole.

All EK pilots agree Emirates plays an unfair game in regards to labor costs for unskilled workers.

It is quite clear the threat Emirates now poses to legacies in regards to widebody international.

I could personally care less if Emirates flies from Europe direct to America. I was just relaying the news and I get attacked for it.

Its just a job to me. Flying DXB-MXP-JFK-MXP-DXB for a 6 day trip just means I will be away from my family longer.

Love it or hate it, Emirates is a behemoth. Cities like Detroit are begging them for service.

Who really should feel threatened is FedEx and UPS, not Delta. All that junk from china and africa goes through Dubai, than to America, Aussie, Europe instead of on Fed Ex.

EK skycargo just started service to O'hare on their 777's from copenhagen.

EK Skycargo is soon to become the world's biggest "cargo airline" in terms of international kg per mile. The cargo in the belly is where the money is made...the premium seats on top is just GRAAAAVVVY.

Last edited:
Can you go and complain why you are not getting upgraded ? I don't think so. You are a slsve to the Arabs my friend

What a maroon. I live in Atlanta and i've been in the left seat for over eight years. :laugh:

Latest resources

Back