ALPA letter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

In the Dec issue of the ALPA magazine, a UAL pilot tells the story of jumpseating on Spirit Airlines. The gate agents made him buy a non-rev ticket for $24. When the Spirit Captain heard he had to spend money, he "nearly jumped" out of his seat and said "As an ALPA carrier, United has a reciprocal jumpseat with Spirit" and proceeded to the gate and got a refund for the UAL pilot . The United pilot goes on to say that this "reinforced my commitment to my ALPA work".

Now, as an airline pilot for a non-ALPA airline I find this odd. My airline has a reciprocal agreement with Spirit also. What the heck does both airlines being ALPA have to do with a 'brother' pilot helping a brother pilot from getting screwed by a gate agent? I'd like to think that the Spirit Captain would have done the same for me, ALPA or not. Actually I find it unlikely that the Spirit pilot would have mentioned ALPA but more likely said something like "you have a reciprocal agreement with us and shouldn't have been charged and let me look into this...". I think the letter writer is highly exagerrating the ALPA connection. I am sure the Spirit guy would have done the same for a UPS, AA, or SWA pilot.

Just another way ALPA feigns giving a rip about its membership. Hey UAL and Delta...would you take a paycut if it meant NO ONE gets furloughed? Nope. "Who cares if that junior pilot has 2 small kids in diapers!? We're senior and we're getting ours!" It's the ALPA way!

DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A WINNA.............. Except you have all the opentime flying whores at Delta for sure. Just wait till the POS at Mother Douche furlough out of seniority with the PRP's still on property. Way to go Duane, you really earned your name as woerthLESS. Give yourself a raise and a bonus. Wouldn't expect anything less at this point.:angryfire:(

But everyone keeps paying dues to ALPA...why? You'd be better off without ALPA.

Networ-King said:
DING DING DING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE A WINNA.............. Except you have all the opentime flying whores at Delta for sure. Just wait till the POS at Mother Douche furlough out of seniority with the PRP's still on property. Way to go Duane, you really earned your name as woerthLESS. Give yourself a raise and a bonus. Wouldn't expect anything less at this point.:angryfire:(

Exactly!! Unfortunately, Duane is no better than management!

When 9/11 happened Mineta had the transportation leaders on a conf call. Someone chimed in.... Well, there goes the jumpseat forever. DW jumped in and saved on line jumpseating. ALPA spearheaded CASS.

ALPA hold the jumpseat conf every year and invites all the players. Sometimes other carriers host it, like the APA or IPA... I don't think non union carriers sponser or host the conf.

Another reason to hate DW and ALPA....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
When 9/11 happened Mineta had the transportation leaders on a conf call. Someone chimed in.... Well, there goes the jumpseat forever. DW jumped in and saved on line jumpseating. ALPA spearheaded CASS.

ALPA hold the jumpseat conf every year and invites all the players. Sometimes other carriers host it, like the APA or IPA... I don't think non union carriers sponser or host the conf.

Another reason to hate DW and ALPA....

Gotta call you on this one....after 9/11 ALL jumpseat access was terminated. Once reinstated, we were allowed to "jumpseat", if you will, ONLY if there were seats available in the cabin.Cass wasn't implemented until 2003(?) when UPS and American got the program up and running. Neither pilot group is represented by ALPA. To say DW jumped in and "saved" on line jumpseating is a stretch........

PHXFLYR:cool:

But of course ALPA makes it seem like THEY were the ones that got it up and running again..... spin, spin, spin

Latest resources

Back