• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA backing "restricted" ATP? WHY??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Having an ATP to fly a commercial high performance jet aircraft may be a good thing.

It's not. Good understanding and training for said high performance jet aircraft is.

Do you still have to do NDB bearing calculations for the ATP written? I'm too lazy to take it.

It's not. Good understanding and training for said high performance jet aircraft is.

Do you still have to do NDB bearing calculations for the ATP written? I'm too lazy to take it.

Bull********************, there is no replacement for experience, no amount of training. When I was an instructor I knew everything, when I was an FO I knew more than my captain, when I became a captain I understood the complexity of my job, when I became a check airman I realized how weak a pilot I was, when I became an OEO I feared for my family. With any luck you will mature, understand what this job entails, and in the end wish that the minimums were much more stringent than an ATP.

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind, there are carriers elsewhere in the world where the first officer of a transoceanic heavy has fewer hours total than what a regional airline would look at to fly a 1900.
Another thing to keep in mind, the U.S.A. still has the safest flying record in the world.

Technology will never substitute real-world experience.

Yes, but those foregin airlines have an extremely stringent selection and weeding out process that lasts a long time. In 2007 USA, the 'selection process' at bridge programs was your ability to pay $$$$$. I saw drunk DUI pilots coming through, and the school took them for their $$$. At a foreign airline, they wouldn't even give you the time of the day if you had even a speck on your record. There are plenty in competition. If you're lucky enough to get hired at that foreign airline as a cadet pilot, you are sent away to a place like Australia or USA to begin flight training, and that can last anywhere from 12-24+ months. Then you come back and begin sim training. When you're finally on the line, you spent a loong time as a relief officer, and then one day finally, a regular FO. Make no mistake about it, this is much different than the 250 hr Gulfstream Academy graduates.

What you describe has not been the case for nearly a decade....with very few exceptions.

What happens if you are someone like me that has an ATP but no "multicrew" experience? Would I be grandfathered?

Another thing to keep in mind, the U.S.A. still has the safest flying record in the world.

Technology will never substitute real-world experience.

where can i find statisitics on how the usa compares with other countries/regions in aviation transportation safety?

..."from an accredited aviation university or college?" Holy moly. Regionals really will become the ERAU alumni flying club. If that doesn't send shivers down your spine... you probably don't have a spine.

..."from an accredited aviation university or college?" Holy moly. Regionals really will become the ERAU alumni flying club. If that doesn't send shivers down your spine... you probably don't have a spine.

They will esentialy be buying the most expensive minimum lowering policy in the history of the airlines. Even then it's up to the airline to accept them or not. I think even they will realize that 170,000 in student loans is not worth the extra 700 hours they will need to get to 1500, I mean to get to 700 they will be instrucing anyways so whats another couple of months to ge to 1500? ERAU is screwed, look for mass downsizing.

Latest resources

Back