• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA backing "restricted" ATP? WHY??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA volunteers work very hard to improve the safety of our profession. The fact we can't always accomplish change due to the counter-actions of the ATA, RAA and other business leaders doesn't mean we are not trying hard enough.

From the ALPA EASC page: http://crewroom.alpa.org/safety/Default.aspx?tabid=2427

From the public page ALPA Safety & Security: http://public.alpa.org/portals/alpa/fastread/2010/FastRead_20100305.htm#02

From the public page ALPA advocacy link: http://www.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/PressRoom/PressReleases/2010/PraterJPMorgan_3-12-10.htm

While I support members rights to voice opinions, I ask that they remember "ALPA" isn't like King George III ruling taxing America from afar. ALPA is a volunteer organization where every pilot volunteer comes from the same cockpits and airlines as the rest of us. Except for those appointed by an MEC or the Executive Council to be on full time union leave, ALPA volunteers do most of their work on their own time. Occasionally they will be given union leave to attend an event, a meeting or other important function, but day-to-day activities are on their own free time. Those that love to toss rocks at ALPA are actually tossing those rocks at these same volunteers who are in the same cockpits as the rest of us.

ALPA volunteers work very hard to improve the safety of our profession. The fact we can't always accomplish change due to the counter-actions of the ATA, RAA and other business leaders doesn't mean we are not trying hard enough.

From the ALPA EASC page: http://crewroom.alpa.org/safety/Default.aspx?tabid=2427

From the public page ALPA Safety & Security: http://public.alpa.org/portals/alpa/fastread/2010/FastRead_20100305.htm#02

From the public page ALPA advocacy link: http://www.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/PressRoom/PressReleases/2010/PraterJPMorgan_3-12-10.htm

While I support members rights to voice opinions, I ask that they remember "ALPA" isn't like King George III ruling taxing America from afar. ALPA is a volunteer organization where every pilot volunteer comes from the same cockpits and airlines as the rest of us. Except for those appointed by an MEC or the Executive Council to be on full time union leave, ALPA volunteers do most of their work on their own time. Occasionally they will be given union leave to attend an event, a meeting or other important function, but day-to-day activities are on their own free time. Those that love to toss rocks at ALPA are actually tossing those rocks at these same volunteers who are in the same cockpits as the rest of us.

The growing angst with ALPA has nothing to do with the volunteers, It has everything to do with the absurd pay with National.

The growing angst with ALPA has nothing to do with the volunteers, It has everything to do with the absurd pay with National.

You mean the pay and budget our volunteers approved? Do you believe the Prater sets his own pay? Who runs this union, Prater or the membership through the EC?

While I understand your frustration on some issues, it is very important that we each share a very clear understanding on how our Union works so that we may make it better. Misunderstanding the facts only leads to the wrong solutions for problems.

I know many of you disagree- but if you're not current and flying a trip now and then - I don't want you representing me.

Many MEC's have voted to make that a requirement of their elected leadership. Did yours?
Nothing like taking your top leadership out of the MEC offices during critical times....

I 100% support full-time buy during negotiations for my MEC leadership. The rest of the time? No, they can go fly. During negotiations? No way...

YMMV

Nothing like taking your top leadership out of the MEC offices during critical times....

I 100% support full-time buy during negotiations for my MEC leadership. The rest of the time? No, they can go fly. During negotiations? No way...
Agreed. Nothing there that conflicts with the idea of having reps "current and flying a trip now and then". ALPA National is a little different, but at the MEC level I think it is best to keep the reps current and flying.

I want my reps passionate about the job and connected to what it's like on the line.

Seems to me, most bad things happen when reps or chiefs forget what flying a line is like- they get out of touch.

Again- national or local, negotiations or not, I want my reps current and flying- it's really not so hard that I buy it's such a huge distraction. I got an MBA while flying a regional schedule...plenty operate businesses on the side while flying a complete line. This is not too much to ask IMHO.

Nope- I'm not alpa- but haven't proposed this to Swapa- still getting to know how they do things

I want my reps passionate about the job and connected to what it's like on the line.
Reps? Absolutely. There's no reason they can't fly a FULL line except for the occasional trip buy because they couldn't bid off for MEC meetings, SPSC events, etc.

MEC Pres, VP, and Neg Chair? Especially when things get down towards the end and you're gearing up the SPSC for informational picketing, strike vote, etc? Well, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Other than that, I agree with you 100%. Having done union work I wouldn't want to be in those offices 12 hours a day like our officers are now (strike vote starts this morning at 10:00) *AND* have to fly a trip as well every month. I'd never be home.

However, I may be a bit biased. After what happened to me, I'll never do union work again. It's worth it to make sure we help raise the bar for the entire industry as well as our own airline, but on a personal level, the sacrifice was too much. Therefore, since I never want to do union work again, I want to give the pilots who DO step up ALL the support they need.

I respect that.
I've heard references to your story before, but don't know what happened. Are you able to give any of that story on here?

Latest resources

Back