• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA backing "restricted" ATP? WHY??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree too acl- that's why I say make the ratings and written process more comprehensive and the truly dangerous pilots will be weeded out- right now, the process ONLY weeds out the extremely bad. An increase in flt time doesn't solve that problem-

I really don't care.

Really.

I did it. Thousands of other pilots I know did it. Upcoming pilots can, too. Don't like it? Go do something else for a living.

200 Multicrew means they have to get a JOB that REQUIRES them to be in the aircraft, not just hopping back and forth in a Cessna/Piper/Cirrus to see your hot girlfriend/boyfriend in grad school upstate. That means a jet that requires an SIC (over 12,500 or in Part 135 operations) or in an aircraft that requires an SIC in lieu of an approved autopilot by Ops Spec.

It will take them that much longer to get through the requirements, give them some REAL WORLD experience to go with it, and add another bar to reach in the pursuit of a flying career. The only downside is operators like GIA would still have a way to function. I can see the ad now:

"Want to get that airline job? 200 Multicrew the only thing standing in your way? Come pay us $75,000 and we'll give you what you need!"

All-in-all, I wish the multicrew requirement were higher, say half that 750 hours required TT. Hope it makes its way into the bill.

I see. Do you realize how few opportunities there are to fly in a multi-crew environment that isn't A) 121 already or B) a 135 or 91 operator that won't look at you without an ATP, which is what you're trying to get. There is plenty of opportunity for pilots to become exceptionally skilled and experienced without being in a crew - in fact I would much rather fly on a regional where the FO got their time flying single pilot freight instead of being a gear bitch on a King Air.

I see. Do you realize how few opportunities there are to fly in a multi-crew environment that isn't A) 121 already or B) a 135 or 91 operator that won't look at you without an ATP, which is what you're trying to get.
No fewer or more than there were when I was trying to do it in '94 after I graduated college and spent 2 years instructing while beating the bushes and networking on the field to get that first Part 135 King Air job.

Which means, again, that I don't really CARE how long it takes other people. I did it. Thousands of other pilots did, too. So can the up-and-coming pilots as well. It made me a better pilot by having to do it, and I'm now thankful for that experience.

There is plenty of opportunity for pilots to become exceptionally skilled and experienced without being in a crew - in fact I would much rather fly on a regional where the FO got their time flying single pilot freight instead of being a gear bitch on a King Air.
Granted. But you'd have to write that into the legislation. Instead of 250 multi-crew, let 500 hours of single-engine Part 135 PIC time count 1 hour for every 2 towards that 250. I don't have a problem with that, but you have to specifically and STRICTLY delineate that requirement and not just 500 hours be-bopping around Part 91 in a Cherokee or Seneca.

If it's something you're concerned about, call ALPA and suggest it. Seriously.

I'm not an ALPA member. I'm just sitting back and enjoying as the law of unintended consequences unfolds, lead by completely out-of-touch union leaders and elected government officials. Have fun. I also paid my dues and had over 2500 hours of 135 PIC experience before joining a 121 carrier as an FO. Highly qualified by most people's standards, yet because I didn't sit bitch in a turboprop I would not have been eligible. Go figure that one out.

Last edited:
What about tougher academics more in line with the military and JAA?

This puts a LOT of leverage into the hands of small operators working at the edge of their finances-

as much as I thought it was corny to see gen Y get wrapped around the axle flying at the mesa's and skywest's of the world-I actually don't advocate a dumb flight time reg that makes our low time pilots fly crappy airplanes at slave wages under rest rules that make mesa's schedule look nice- (look up 135 non-sched- 1400/year, 800 in 2 cons qtrs, 500/qtr- )
I'm ok w/ 1500TT- but not w/ the 200 crew- there will be opportunistic companies that will bludgeon young pilots trying to fight for a career. This kind of leverage is how "regionals" came to be.

Last edited:
That "bludgeoning" was happening long before "Gen Y".

I remember a buddy of mine dying in a Cherokee 6 hauling checks from TYS to BNA. No anti-ice, pushed into taking the flight into an oncoming snowstorm.

I know exactly of what you speak, the early- to mid-90's were a crappy, crappy time for pilot hiring as well. And yes, this will likely bring back many of those types of operators...

I agree about the increased academics, but you're talking about a COMPLETE re-write of the PTS and the FAA and without the spotlight on the FAA for lack of TRAINING or INADEQUACIES in the training process in general, good luck with that one.

Sometimes it's about fighting the battle that's winnable, then moving on to the next battle that really DOES make the difference. That's how you win the WAR... Strategy for this kind of thing moves in DECADES, not just months.

ALPA is acting like an Association and putting the best interests of those IN the 121 profession in mind. It is protecting its members.

Yes, thank you. That's what they're doing exactly. Raise the bar significantly high and just maybe restore the profession. Too bad it took lives and tears and congress to actually get this done. I'd say much too little too late on ALPA's part.

Yes, thank you. That's what they're doing exactly. Raise the bar significantly high and just maybe restore the profession.
Looks that way to me too.

Not sure how they could have made it happen sooner. Look how many years they've been fighting for better rest rules. The airline lobbies are very powerful and very well funded. The only reason this came up is because of the Colgan crash which caused many passengers to write their congressmen.

Latest resources

Back