Aloha 1113c hearing complete

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Der Kommissar said:
This has got to be a really frustrating time. On one hand, the pilots and others just don't want to give anything else back. They've already given a substantial chunk of their pay and other stuff... but at the same time, what happens if the investors pull out because of a lack of contract negotiation. Ugh. I hope it works out.

It's really simple, more investors will come. Look, pilot costs are only 1-3% of the DOC for any airline. The problem is, management and the creditors (read: lawyers and consultant) think ALPA is a lame duck and will fold like a wet noodle (ummm, like the NW pilots did) so they feel if they can get the pilots to fork over their pay and benefits, all other parties will be saitisfied and they can move forward.

If the investors walk, AQ WILL NOT shut down. It simply won't happen. The comany will continue to operate in CH11 while they wait for another investor or for the financial climate to change. Look at UAL, they have been in bancruptcy for over 3 years. It's kiind of pathetic really, if there were a limit to the time spent in C11, more airlines would fail, and overcapacity would be addressed.

800Dog said:
Absolutely not. Just hope Delta Pilots are as unified. Best of luck to you all.

me too. We are watching Delta and other situations very close. This information deserves a new thread, probably already been posted but here it is...

http://www.alpa.org/DesktopModules/ALPA_Documents/ALPA_DocumentsView.aspx?itemid=2113&ModuleId=1458&Tabid=73

Release #05.052
November 16, 2005

Senate Pension Reform Legislation: One Step Closer to Victory for Airline Pilots
WASHINGTON, D.C. --- Capt. Duane E. Woerth, president of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA), issued the following statement today after the U.S. Senate brought the “Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005” (S.1783) to the floor by unanimous consent and approved the measure by a 97-2 vote. Before the final passage, the Senate adopted, by an overwhelming voice vote, an amendment offered by Senator Johnny Isakson (R-GA), Senator Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), and Senator Trent Lott (R-MS) that provides a 20-year amortization period for unfunded pension plan liabilities. In addition, the Senate adopted by a 58-41 vote an amendment offered by Senator Daniel Akaka (D-HI) and Senator Arlen Specter (R-PA) that would apply the PBGC’s normal retirement age guarantee limit to pilots at their mandatory retirement age of 60.
“The Air Line Pilots Association hails the Senate’s passage of the ‘Pension Security and Transparency Act of 2005’ as a major milestone for airline pilots. This legislation will make it possible for several airlines to live up to their promise of a secure retirement pension to tens of thousands of airline employees, and will restore much of what thousands of other pilots have lost in terminated pensions. “We applaud Senators Isakson, Rockefeller, Lott, Akaka, and Specter for their tremendous leadership on behalf of airline employees across the nation. Congress recognized the uniqueness of the airline industry in the Isakson-Rockefeller-Lott amendment and the uniqueness of airline pilots in the Akaka-Specter amendment.
“By extending the amortization period to 20 years, the Senate has helped to prevent existing defined-benefit plans from being terminated and will help ensure a secure retirement for airline employees.
“We urge the U.S. House to follow the Senate’s lead and act swiftly on HR 2830 to facilitate a conference between the House and Senate before the Congress adjourns at the end of the year. Thousands of faithful employees’ futures are hanging in the balance.”
ALPA represents 63,000 airline pilots at 40 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Its website is at www.alpa.org.

islandhopper said:
We have had fantastic showings in court and informational picketing. We estimated nearly 100% of all off-line pilots showed up for the informational picketing, and I have seen just about every AQ pilot I know at the court at least once. Some pilots were there for every single day. That included downtown Honolulu parking fees and submitting to the pau hana rush hour jam. I have never been prouder to be part of anything, ever, period.

dont forget about the lunch time trash talkin and beer drinkin... :)

court was pretty informative.. it was good to see so many people you havent seen in a while. you're right about those parking fees.. those killed me, but well worth it.

dash8driver said:
dont forget about the lunch time trash talkin and beer drinkin... :)

Now that you mention it... We talked trash about everybody. Did we leave ANYBODY out? We even roasted a few members of flightinfo. I know Hugh got trashed very early on.

Heres the two stories from our illustrious island newspapers...

Judge implores Aloha Air and pilots to reach a deal

http://starbulletin.com/2005/11/16/business/story01.html

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=+2]Aloha union: Another 'sacrifice'
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051116/BUSINESS03/511160315/1071
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited:
islandhopper said:
Thanks! I am sure Delta thinks they are smarter than us country folk.
Country folk? From where, up-country Maui? You do realize that Delta's in Georgia, right?

whymeworry? said:
It's really simple, more investors will come. Look, pilot costs are only 1-3% of the DOC for any airline.

Where'd you get that figure from? It's wholly inaccurate.

Look at labor costs for a typical airline. 30-40 or more %. Pilots are at least a third of that, perhaps more depending on the airline. 10-15% of TOTAL costs is a more accurate figure.

Latest resources

Back