Almost Saw and Accident-Who has seen one

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

newmei

I personally have seen two. One was a Long Ez departing, he relized that his canopy was unlocked it went to abort his brakes faded and he ran off the side of the runway and flipped over on his side. Minor injuries

The other was a engine failure in a 150 from carb ice. They came in short and hit a 6 foot tall berm head on and flipped over breaking one of the guys neck.
Still gives me shivers.

I'm sure we will get some interesting stories on this one.

Several years ago, I was at my school just hanging out. A man, his wife and four-year-old son climbed into their c-310 for a flight to retrieve a puppy (it was the little boy's b-day). The pilot apparently rejected the longer runway because of cross-wind. The remaining, shorter runway also had a cross-wind, but it was better in the pilot's opinion. Right away in his takeoff roll he exhibited directional control problems and about half way down the runway he went into the grass. He kicked hard right rudder to steer back to the runway and apparently had a left prop-strike with the dirt. Rather than abort, he completed the takeoff with a sick left engine and made a continuous left turn to impact in an empty lot of a heavy residential area. According to people at the actual crash site, all were alive post-impact, but fire prevented any rescue.

I've watched several airplanes land gear up. I watched a Harrier crash years ago, and have been present for several agricultural wrecks. I extracted the pilot from one, and put out the fire. I saw a lear grind it's right main gear off once after the tire exploded. I've seen a few airplanes ground loop. Watched a 185 crash on takeoff, once; pitched straight up, then straight back down. I was present when the first of the final five T-38's crashed on the Thunderbird team (Lt. Nick Hauk) at HAFB; that was something like 16 years ago.

I've been in close proximity to several airplanes that have started up with objects in the way, including one person who taxied into his car, and another who nearly hit me with pieces of his towbar.

Numerous ground fires, a number of in flight fires. I saw a helicopter go in once in California. I was present last fall for the wreck (albeit minor) or a government airplane on a training fight. I had an onboard explosion that removed about twenty feet of metal on the back end of an airplane, once. I've seen a few ultralights crash, most not too serious, one fairly serious. Just missed being present when friend was killed in one.

I've been present, and have treated, several individuals who had bad parachute accidents (the last one being in August of last year). I had three landings yesterday that could have easily been termed "crashes"; the result of attempting to land a parachute that I shouldn't have been jumping. I've had one significant parachute crash that resulted in time spent in intensive care, though head injuries have precluded me from remembering seeing most of it.

I was present many years ago when a gentleman attempted to handprop a light experimental airplane with the wing tied down, the tail not tied down, the mags both on, and the throttle set at half. After the airplane ran him over it struck a fuel truck and punctured it. He survived, but I'm reasonably certain he never did that again.

I've been present at many wrecks after the fact, over the years. None are anything one would care to remember.

Aircraft wrecks are much like car wrecks; if one has seen one, one has seen one too many.

Just today it occured to me to ask the jump pilots on here if they've ever lost any of their jumpers. If newmei doesn't mind a little thread hijacking, I'm curious.

I didn't actually see the impact, but a couple years ago I came around a corner just in time to see a large fireball off the end of one of the runways... turns out it was a T-37 flown by a student on his second solo. They left the wreckage of the plane out there for a few days, there's nothing like flying over a debris field on short final to dampen your mood at the end of a flight.

Several years back I almost saw an E-3 land gear up. We were following them on final debating whether or not we could see their gear. When they were on short final the IP I was with told them to check their gear. His transmission was immediately followed by tower yelling "E-3 on final, go around, go around, go around!!!". I'd guess they were less than 100 feet off the runway when they went around. They did their next one to a full stop, by the time we landed about ten minutes later the safety guys had already grabbed them and dragged them off to debrief. The flight was an instructor qualification flight, two senior pilots and a FE all forgot to finish the checklist.

T1bubba

Never had a jumper on one of my loads get hurt (except me). People I've jumped with in the past are dead now, as the result of jumping, and a pilot with whom I used to fly and jump, and whom I flew while he was jumping, was killed last year while flying a load of jumpers. The DZ where I jump lost an airplane and a load of jumpers. The DZ where I used to work lost several airplanes over the years (no fatals, I believe; stupid acts such as sucking gear up early on a Cessna 411, and buckling the firewall landing on the nosegear of a 182).

Jumping is quite safe; there is nothing to hit on the way down.

Was in the stands at Kennedy Space Center, January 28, 1986… a sad day in aviation.:(

Dick Scobee was right though, you know. It IS a crime to get paid for doing something one loves so much. A lot of wisdom in that statement. I believe he made that comment in one of his final interviews.

I have not witnessed any accidents, but last year my friend watched his jumper go out of his 182, and then had to fly over the corn field searching for his body.

We had an accident here between Denver and Colorado springs where a twin with 4 people went into a hillside just a 1/4 mile from the interstate. I saw the police and investigators, but the airplane was hidden from view. Apparently they had engine trouble and carb ice is suspected. It was too bad.

Avbug's last line was correct. After you have seen one aviator lose his life, you wish to never see it again. I was a little slower - I used to follow the aerobatic and air show circuit. I have personally seen (and felt) two fireballs, watched as four people lost their lives in four separate incidents. Picked up the pieces of two fatal wrecks (not associated with air shows). And have probably seen something like 15 different accidents. I do not wish to recount a single one.

However, in the spirit of sport I will tell you about two funny Bob Hoover incidents. One was at York, PA quite a few years ago. Bob was doing his usual Shrike Commander routine but did his knife edge pass a little lower than usual and not quite down the runway. It was very impressive as he caught a power line with the lower left wing. Lots of sparks and noise. I don't think Bob ever knew till he parked the plane. Just kept going on the routine. Did his single engine thing and taxiied to his parking space. He knew something was up when almost the entire crowd ran to see him get out of the plane. That Shrike was amazing - a cut in the leading edge boot and the wire stripped about four feet of the outer boot cover from the hit mark out to the tip. Not another scratch on the plane!

Many years later in Reno, NV at the air races, Bob was picked to lead the Unlimited racers out to the line. He had to pass. I watched as he cranked up that magnificent yellow Mustang. He probably taxiied all of 50 feet when (all of us aghast) he simply just ran right over his own pickup truck that was parked out on the ramp. It was the only thing within 500ft of the airplane and I guess he just forgot it was there. The Mustang doesn't have very good forward vision and most of those guys zigzag out of parking spots to clear the area, but good ol' Bob just plowed straight for the runway and well, gave up a pretty good prop and I guess they got to inspect his engine after that one. The pick up truck didn't look too good either.

Latest resources

Back