Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allowed distance btwn AC on the taxiway(s)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL030

After getting clearance to taxi to a run up area in my Cessna, and as i'm proceeding the #1 com decides to go TU but i didn't realize it immediately. As i'm approaching the run up area off the main ramp i notice a helicopter hover taxiing on the parallel, almost abeam my runup area. Hearing nothing on the now (still unknown to me) inop radio i proceed into run up position quite close (25-30 feet) to the hovering helicopter. Well the tower had been trying to contact me the whole time and seemed quite upset (naturally) when i finally reached them on the hand held.

My question is this: Are there legal separation distances between active aircraft on taxiways and ramps? I'm not trying to defend myself or my crappy narco equipment, just curious as i'd never come across it before.

Obviously my equipment let me down this day and i hated the situation as much as the ground controller did. I did have that small voice in my head telling me that the radio was too quiet for a nice and sunny, busy Sunday and should have acted sooner on that.

Specific separation requirements, no. But, had you created a hazard for the helicopter with your runup, or placed yourself in a hazardous position due to the rotorwash, or merely taxied too close and created a hazard in that manner, you certainly would have been guilty of violation of 91.13, careless or reckless operation.

Like Avbug said there are no set seperation rules, I looked both in the book and searched on line. In your situation I'd fill out a NASA form explaining just as you did in your post it couldn't hurt. Now you have an interview story if you ever need one.

Also in my 15 years flying I've seen/hear many controlers get upset/huffy then calm right down when you offer a professional, quick, kind, humble, explination.

No separation requirements that I know of. I once put the nose of my ATR just about under the tailcone of an MD-11 when he stopped just clear of the runway when I was cleared to cross behind him. He stopped, and when the controller cleared the next heavy for takeoff I got as close to him as I could stand to make sure my tail was clear of the runway.

Well, I'll bite.... what is RCH.

I googled it and google .... looked at me funny :(

Wankel

after the late morning hub at airnet, the planes would all be racing out to 10R and we would all be jammed at the hold short line/run-up area like a bunch of cattle waiting to get slaughtered. no separation requirement that I know of.

GravityHater said:
The maximum clearance is the smallest distance measurable to man; the "RCH".
Wonder what made someone measure that???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back