• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Rnwy Overrun

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
again i say be carefull of what "witnesses" say....I wonder how many of them even know what/where the touchdown zone is?

Hard to say who or where the witnesses were, but there's no control tower there.

I'm just glad no one was hurt. Finger pointing aside, that's what really matters.

Flaps 28 is the preferred landing setting...

I hope that flap setting was used in this case for approach/climb limitations and not noise abatement.

Even with 8500 ft of runway, aircraft performance allowing, flaps 40 would be more conservative. This is due to considering the combination of not only being being close to max landing weight, but also the higher true airspeed and resulting higher touchdown speed due to the airport's elevation.

Flaps 40 on roll out also provide more drag to aide slowing, while reverse thrust and ground spoilers may not be as effective due to elevation.

If flaps 40 was not available because of app/clmb, then the crew had no choice.

My 2 cents...

Why would you say flaps 28 is the preferred landing setting? I almost always use flaps 40 in the 80.

He said that because at AAY, flaps 28 is the preferred landing flap setting according to the AOM.

Preferred setting is just that... preferred. It is not required. I use flaps 40 99% of the time.

Flaps 28 is the preferred landing setting. The approach end of 15 is not easily visible from the ramp of this predominantly GA, non-towered airport whose users think the touchdown zone means the numbers.

Flaps 28 might be the preferred setting, but a flaps 40 might have helped the situation.

Note: This is what was conveyed to me from a G4 CA. A few months ago G4 started to prefer flaps 28 to help with fuel consumption, along with no reverse 'if possible'.

Latest resources

Back