Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kaman

Hello,
I'll be heading for Jax at the end of this month to complete the ALL ATPs "Total CFI" program. I researched a number of locations and this is what I've decided upon. Now that I've jumped in with both feet I'd really appreciate some fellow aviators letting me know what to expect down there. Not looking for gouge per se, however, I am interested in general info, the instructors, examiners, etc...Any input is solicited and welcome.
My background is primarily military "in the back" as a crewmember and I have about 800 hours TT and recently been flying a Lance on a Part 91 check run.

Fly safe and thanks!

ex-Navy rotorhead

There are two main guys that do the primary instruction, Walt and Rich. Both are excellent instructors. Walt worked for the FAA in Oklahoma City or something like that and signed off just about every DE in Florida. Rich is an ex-Army rotorhead, both do a great job. Just be prepared for 2 weeks of stress. The more prepared you are going in with materials, tests, lesson plans etc, the less stressed you'll be. The same goes for the regular instructors who will do some of your training after your initial. Study the Seminole supplement and get to know the vspeeds and checklists for the maneuvers so that you'll spend less time fretting and more time flying.

Walt Schamel at Jax

I knew Walt Schamel very well in Oklahoma City fourteen years ago when he was with the FAA. Absolutely, a first-class individual, bar none. He was in our CAP wing and designed a check pilot standardization program that was a shortened version of his FAA DE training. I took the training, eventually became an Assistant Wing Check Pilot, and helped him put on the program one year. It is unbelievable how much Walt and his training helped me in my career.

Whatever you do, make every effort possible to get Walt Schamel as your instructor. You won't go wrong.

Good luck with your training.

ATP

I went to Flightsafety and got my CIME. I then went on to the Jax location ATP. Great place. I did my CFI, CFII, and MEI in two weeks. I had about 150 hours in the seminole so I did well with the POH and the V-speeds. Everyone else was right. Try and study the POH and the V-speeds as well as the ATP checklist. I know they send you all this info a good month ahead of time and they will expect that you know your stuff.

I had both Walt and Rich and they both are great people and great instructors. Walt taught the week long ground school which was great. I had friends at FSI that had a longer ground school for their CFI and I knew more. He will really get you ready for not only your oral but the checkride.

Expect a lot of late nights, we use to start at 7:00 AM and finish at 10:00 PM...but don't worry you will learn everything and then some...Walt sure can tell a hell of a story.

Your first couple of flights will be with Walt, then you will get a younger instructor to polish you up.

Rich will teach you all your spin training which is a lot of fun, and being an old Military Roto head like yourself, I'm sure you guys will have a lot to talk about...

All in all great people, and yes...you will get it done in TWO WEEKS...just study hard before you go, they will not hold your hand.

I'm sure you will have Earnie for one of your checkrides...he is great, stay on his good side.

If you have any questions let me know

--Sean

Latest resources

Back