• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

All Eagle pilots getting numbers at AA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where is APA on this? I have seen nothing on their website or anywhere else about it. Also I saw it was negotiated between AA, Eagle, and ALPA... did not include APA.

No boilerplate statement from Bates like "we look forward to welcoming our fellow pilots at Eagle to our company..... Blah blah blah"

How can a pilot group stand to gain almost 3000 members and not say a word about it?

What am I missing here?

What am I missing here?

I think nothing. APA sees where this going. AMR divested Eagle into its own company. Eagle must find contract flying like all their competitors. In order to compete Eagle management tells employees they must get costs under control. The cuts are so deep that Eagles morale goes into the toilet. In the meantime Skywest, Pinnacle, etc. gets awarded the contracts to fly AA feeder routes. Eagle cuts back operations and changes name to reflect its independence from AMR. Pilots and other employees succumb to cuts but it is too late. Eagle becomes the next Mesa/Express Jet but with even worse morale.

Hopefully, I am wrong.

Can't disagree, I also think the future looks bleak for eagle. But my question remains... Why wasn't APA involved in this negotiation and why have they not made any public comments about it yet?

Speaking live and in person, from my East Coast crash pad, as a real, live Eagle Flow through, now "reserve bitch at AA".. (who made it through all the AA training, without any additional, of any kind, btw...) Two% is pretty close to the numbers we have been told recently. For what that's worth.

Nimslow, you can provide some honest insight to the difference between a senior regional captain, and a junior legacy mainline pilot. In your honest opinion, how is QOL now compared to when you were a senior eagle pilot? How long do you anticipate before you break even money wise, not just in yearly W2, but in terms of total money. Thanks.

Nimslow, you can provide some honest insight to the difference between a senior regional captain, and a junior legacy mainline pilot. In your honest opinion, how is QOL now compared to when you were a senior eagle pilot? How long do you anticipate before you break even money wise, not just in yearly W2, but in terms of total money. Thanks.

Joe,

It's going to be hard for me to give an "apples to apples" comparison on the QOL. I went from living in base, bidding in the top 15%, to commuting 1400 miles for reserve in the bottom 20%.

Reserve at AA isn't the best, but it's still way better than the Eagle system. No airport standby, the possibility for long call (but it's at scheduling's whim). We do not have a defined call out for short call, just reasonably available by surface transportation.

As for pay, I'm a slacker. I never worked any vacation, have not done any OT since I was a starving FO, and used to drop whatever I could. Due to the arbitration award, I started on fourth year pay. I estimate that I will make $20k less my first full year at AA, than I did my last year at AE. The guys that max out the OT, and work all their vacation, are going to take a much bigger hit. All of us were on the top of the pay scale at AE, with only our 1-2% IAI raises to look forward to. Here the pay will continue to go up for years.

On a dollar per hour basis, assuming I stay on the MD80, pay year 8 will be more than what I made at AE.

The actual impact to the check book is slightly less. The health insurance at AA is 50% less than I was paying at AE. We still have the A and B funds, so I can reduce my 401k contributions for a couple of years, without it having a major impact on retirement. On the other side however, crash pad and airport car expenses are now added. And it is not cheap out here.

Bottom line..Minus the commuting, life is better here. I do wonder if we will be in business over the coming years, but that's a concern anywhere these days. I was prepared to make the move, very little debt, didn't live above my means. And I'm still in my mid 40's, so I figure the short term loss is offset by the potential long term gain.

Your mileage may vary, not to be taken internally, do not insert body parts into moving fan blades....

Bump, to remind what was said...

Joe,

It's going to be hard for me to give an "apples to apples" comparison on the QOL. I went from living in base, bidding in the top 15%, to commuting 1400 miles for reserve in the bottom 20%.

Reserve at AA isn't the best, but it's still way better than the Eagle system. No airport standby, the possibility for long call (but it's at scheduling's whim). We do not have a defined call out for short call, just reasonably available by surface transportation.

As for pay, I'm a slacker. I never worked any vacation, have not done any OT since I was a starving FO, and used to drop whatever I could. Due to the arbitration award, I started on fourth year pay. I estimate that I will make $20k less my first full year at AA, than I did my last year at AE. The guys that max out the OT, and work all their vacation, are going to take a much bigger hit. All of us were on the top of the pay scale at AE, with only our 1-2% IAI raises to look forward to. Here the pay will continue to go up for years.

On a dollar per hour basis, assuming I stay on the MD80, pay year 8 will be more than what I made at AE.

The actual impact to the check book is slightly less. The health insurance at AA is 50% less than I was paying at AE. We still have the A and B funds, so I can reduce my 401k contributions for a couple of years, without it having a major impact on retirement. On the other side however, crash pad and airport car expenses are now added. And it is not cheap out here.

Bottom line..Minus the commuting, life is better here. I do wonder if we will be in business over the coming years, but that's a concern anywhere these days. I was prepared to make the move, very little debt, didn't live above my means. And I'm still in my mid 40's, so I figure the short term loss is offset by the potential long term gain.

Your mileage may vary, not to be taken internally, do not insert body parts into moving fan blades....

Thanks for the insight, I wanted to ask the same question.

Latest resources

Back