Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZaviator

El Capitan
Just wanted to hear from anyone who has done the ATP written test at ALL ATPs and what they thought about the test prep. I'm doing it next week and would like to hear some first hand experiences, regardless if they are recent or not.

Thanks in advance!:cool:

I just did it at the LAS location about a month ago. Overall I was pleased with the experience but I went into it not expecting much. Basically what happens is they park you in front of a computer and you go through the ATP questions over and over again until you have them all memorized. Good for passing the test but you dont learn much this way. The only downside I ran into was that when one of you was ready to take the test (there were several computers in the room) the other had to leave.

It helps a great deal if you have studied beforehand that way you have some idea of what to expect and can spend less time on the prep. They give you the whole first day and then you take the test the next morning. I had studied beforehand and was prepared to take the test by about 2pm the first day, which they will allow. Dont expect an instructor to be sitting there with you answering your questions, you are basically on your own. Though there will likely be an instructor around somewhere.

Overall it is an excellent program to pass the test quickly but be sure to actually take the time to learn this stuff along the way, it is very important and you need to know it. I understand the desire to pass the test but remember you will have to explain these concepts on your oral too... hope this helps you.

Twotter76

ALLATPS Lakeland, FL

I did it just over a month ago at ATP's newest FL location at LAL. I bought the Gleim ATP book, and even had access to Gleim's ATP CD-ROM, but darned if I didn't make any time to go though them, except for a few times in the "library."

I went into the prep session "cold." Like I said, I hadn't cracked the Gleim hardly at all. About 14 hours in front of the prep computer was about all I could stand, and I was able to make a bit of a gouge for the cross-countries and weight and balance sections. I figure I'll get all that in groundschool anyway. ALLATP has somewhere around 582 Part 121 questions out of the massive bank in the ATP book. Narrowing it down like that was worth it.

Drove home to Orlando that night and back to Lakeland the next morning to take the test. I finished in good time and got a 93 out of it. I had CFI friends at CAA that studied the Gleim and took it at the Academy and got in the 80s, but I seem to recall going over much of what was in the test bank over my flight-instructing career and don't think I short-changed myself by "cramming." 99% of the Comair CFIs do the ALLATPs thing and the hiring board at Comair doesn't seem to give it a second glance.

Bring snacks and take a good break for lunch and you'll do fine!

John, Longwood, FL

I did the Jax ATP prep last year and they do what they say--get you a good score. I sat in a small computer room punching keys for the entire first day doing nothing, but memorizing the questions and answers. Then the next morning I took the test. ATP narrows the questions down significantly so you can concentrate on what might be on the test, and everyone I know who used the ATP system got over 90%'s.

To possibly get a good score take the prep, but to understand the material study the Gleim book or CD or something like that. That is where I really understood the material.

Have a friend who works at ATP.

He was a bit miffed at the new format which is a one-day event (hot off the press - they changed this past week).

You go in at 0800 and take the test at 1800. All on the same day.
He gets to stay at the office all day long.

The other points are correct. Basically you pay them the money. They give you a computer session with the "narrowed" list of questions. Gleim is 1500 possible questions - ATP is something like 600. Most folks walk out with an ATP written with a score of 90 or above.

Sounds like you could do the same thing with the CD ROM version of thr Gliem for a fraction of the price with the exception of the question condensing.

Does anyone know how they are allowed to condense the question list, while noone else does?

I read through the book about three times straight when I passed mine, but I had an hour each leg to study it every night.

Thanks

save your money

If you wanted to save some money and actually learn something, just study to 12 dollar study guide. 2 hours a night for two weeks and I was ready.

I was an instructor for ATP in JAX last year. The reason the ATP prep has a reduced number of questions is that we eliminated the part 135 questions, the redundant questions (the ones where 5 different questions ask the same thing but with subtly different wording), etc. In six months of instructing, I knew one person who failed. The vast majority scored in the 90s.

Best money I ever spent. Went in to the Manassas, VA location at 0800. Studied the questions until about 1500. Asked to take the test the same day so I didn't have to drive all the way back early the next day. Started test at about 1530 and finished with a 96% at about 1600. I did not do any "pre-studying" before showing up. They narrow down the bank by removing all of the Pt135 questions, helicopter questions, etc. Just the questions that are relavent to Pt 121 airplane ops are included. Also they provide some gouge for getting the performance calculation questions correct. Like others have said, you don't learn a whole lot on this one but you will get a good score.

I went through All ATP's in PHX in December for the special rate of $150 and it was worth every penny. The format was all day Sat. followed by the test Sun. morning. Just prepare yourself for a long day in front of a computer.

Latest resources

Back