Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
F18-FDX said:
Guys & Gals,

If you're not familiar with it, this bill is an attempt to circumvent the Railway Labor Act. The legislation would impose “last offer” baseball style binding arbitration on contract negotiations in the airline industry, effectively destroying airline labor’s ability to negotiate a fair contract.

F18, The last time I checked baseball players have done exceptionally well under this system. The arbitrator usually chooses the player over management. A-Rod got 252 mil, from the the same team that made Nolan Ryan the first million dollar player less than twenty years ago. All under the "last offer" system.

regards,
8N

A-Rod's 252 million dollar deal was the result of free agency, not "baseball style arbitration". I'm sure he was blown away when the owner, Hicks, made this offer of his own volition. Binding "baseball style" arbitration is not used to determine anything in the baseball players contract other than the salary of those players in years 2-5 who are not yet eligible for free agency.

If the airlines want to use this to determine the salaries of pilots in years 2-5, then go for it. But to apply it to a whole CBA in a business as complicated as this is nuts.

CRJ200 and company

The reason pilot's salaries were so high before deregulation was that the airlines were being subsidized by the government.

Now, the airlines have to compete in the free market just like Microsoft, Safeway, Ford, etc.

That's the American way...free market capitalism...no subsidizing of private industry. Businesses fail or succeed based on the demand for their product and their ability to deliver it at a price where the company can turn a profit.

SWA, Jet Blue, Frontier, Air Tran, Fractional ownership and 50/70/90 seat RJs are new tools available to airline managers and entreprenuers. They are, and will revolutionize the air travel industry. This market revolution is happening all around us today as we speak.

1. UAL/DAL/NWA/US Air are parking hundreds of big planes, and buying hundreds or RJs.

2. SWA/Jet Blue/Frontier/Comair/ASA/ACA and other regionals and fractionals are hiring by the thousands...UAL/DAL/NWA/US Air are furloughing by the thousands.

3. Ticket prices are down, and Jet Blue/Frontier/AirTran/SWA are making money at those ticket prices. UAL/DAL/NWA/US Air are losing money by the billions. The product offered buy UAL/DAL/NWA/US Air is not competitive...if it was, the consumers would choose them more often over their competitors.

If you can't see it happening around you...then you and an ostrich must have much in common. (not meant to be an insult, but the metaphor was just too tough to resist).

OMFG!!!!

I just got done reading this thread start to finish. Wow!!! I have met a few know-it-all, pseudo-salty-dog, Ernie K. Gann wannabes in the last few years. But CRJ200FO, hands down wins the prize.

A Gulfsteam whizkid beating on SWA. WOW!

Born in 82 and giving out the history lessons. WOW!

Lecturing everyone on ALPA with how many years of ALPA experience? WOW!

That is one salty ol' dog there guys. Most of this thread is comical. I wonder if he is like this in the cockpit.

I'd MUCH rather spend a month with TurboS7, this CRJ200 dude would drive me NUTS (pun intended, get it???).

Nothing personal CRJ, you are unreal though.

CRJ200FO said:
What good service are you referring to? I've never met anyone that has received good service on a SWA flight. The only reason people continue to go to SWA is because they will sell tickets for unreasonably low prices. Don't delude yourself into thinking that people fly on SWA for good service. Explain to me how SWA provides better service than the real majors.

Their employees smile not infrequently. That goes a long way in my book.

There are not many airlines that do much more than huck a bag a peanuts and a demitase of flat soda at you these days anyhow. Service sucks. It's an airline, not a Royal Carribean cruise. The least they can do is smile, thank you for your patronage, and get you to your destination on time. It's more than most of the majors are able do these days.

CRJ200FO said:
Actually, Flying the Line was written from an objective viewpoint. It is not one-sided.

Rrrrrriiiiiiiiight!!!! Objective??? ROFLMAO!!!

Don't get me wrong, FTL I and II are both excellent histories of the union and great reads, but they are about as objective as the San Francisco Chronicle.

As a fellow fighter pilot...
You should realize this. The Democrat's
(Clinton) cut the military buget by 36%
during his reign.

I ask you, what do you want to carry on your
F-18, Water Ballons.
I doubt your credentials.
Piss and moan all you want about ALPA.
They stink. I fly a CRJ full time and F-16D
for my part time job. And you worry about
trival crap like your post.

Shame on you. I'm sure you sleep good at
night.NOT. And if you do, marry Alec Baldwin.
He may be good for you.

Jetsnake

Last edited:
Jetsnake,

I'm not sure what your point was or who you were talking to but I doubt your credentules, or better yet, your credentials.

Any self respecting Viper pilot wouldn't brag about flying the F-16D. The only time it's the better jet is when it's aft CG helps get the nose on in a turning fight. You don't have as much gas and the d@mn seat is a couple inches further forward which hinders comfort. Nobody likes the family wagon except those who aren't qualified to fly the A or C models and just want a ride in a high performance fighter or the flight doc because he has currency requirements. Which are you?

I'm not bragging, nor will I.
The point in which I meant, was
to the first post in
which it seemed to very DEMOCRATIC.

By the way, Viper really sounds COOL.

LOBO 21
175th TFS(114th TFG)

Jetsnake

Last edited:
Jetsnake said:

LOBO 21
175th TFS(114th TFG)

Jetsnake
I smell a troll.

175th TFS?? 114th TFG?? Not in the last decade, dude--and certainly not in the "USMCR". Sorry, but I just ain't buyin' it. A more likely scenario: you're an ex-enlisted Marine (hence the "USMCR") who used his GI Bill bennies to go to FlightSafety or Comair.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back