• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Albie15, hope you are okay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, I'd hate to be the other guy, regardless of who was 'at fault.' I lost one USAFA classmate to a mid-air and one B-Course classmate to a mid-air.

Even with SADL, Link-16, IFDL, HMCS and all the SA enhancing tools, you still need to keep your cranium outside...it's hard looking outside in the Raptor, but you have to do it.

I don't know, but I'm sure this was a BFM sortie. BFM is loads of fun, but the older I get the more I'm starting to see that's it's not as important as we make it out to be. Lots of those skills don't transfer to our other missions. Maybe we should just all go to a 1000' bubble and leave it at that. Just thinking out loud....

We had a 1000' bubble in USAFE the 5 years I was there and it really didn't affect the fights at all.

That said, most of the close calls I've seen or heard of in BFM or any other visual fight probably would have happened if the bubble was 500' or 5000'. Bubbles, Blocks, floors, min airspeeds - they're all nice TRs but as I'm sure you know, they won't save anyone who's pushed it or mis-judged their situation or just plain screwed up. JMO

The mishap was at Eglin, 58 FS, 33 FW, during BFM surge. Both pilots ejected and the one later died. He was a 1Lt fresh out of MQT. I doubt you guys would know him.

The mishap was at Eglin, 58 FS, 33 FW, during BFM surge. Both pilots ejected and the one later died. He was a 1Lt fresh out of MQT. I doubt you guys would know him.

Wow man... just wow.

When I gotta go though I'd like to go like him, loving life on a 1v1 BFM, probably went out on top of the world.

Name released today....26 year old married guy, first tour 1LT. Came from ROTC out of a California school.

Buried today in Tampa in traditional muslim ceremony.

Here's the article from the Tampa Tribune.

By KURT LOFT and LAURA KINSLER, The Tampa Tribune

Published: February 23, 2008

Updated: 12:14 am

TAMPA - A Tampa family laid their 26-year-old son to rest Friday, honoring the sacrifice he made for his country.

"Our son has died with great honor, and this is not bestowed on anyone," said Mehboob Jivanjee, whose son, Ali Jivanjee, died after a midair collision of two F-15C Eagles. "I'm proud he served his country in the best manner and the way he wanted to."

The Pentagon said U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Jivanjee died from injuries after ejecting from his plane during a routine training exercise over the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday. A second, unidentified pilot parachuted safely after the two $30 million jets collided.

With the help of a fishing vessel, Coast Guard crews found both men after a three-hour search. The pilots were from the 58th Fighter Squadron of the 33rd Fighter Wing at Eglin Air Force Base, and their planes struck each other about 35 miles south of Tyndall Air Force Base in Florida's Panhandle. A safety board investigation is under way.

Following Muslim tradition, a funeral service was held Friday at Sunset Memory Gardens in Thonotosassa. Jivanjee leaves behind his wife, Sara.

"Our son sacrificed his life for the United States," Mehboob Jivanjee said. "His friends, every one of them from the commander to the sergeants - including their wives - showed me how close they were to my son."

Many showed emotion during the graveside ceremony, and expressed their pride and appreciation for the young man's dedication.

"We love America," said his father, whose family moved to Tampa from California three years ago. "I'm proud to be a father and an American. This is our land, and we love America. If I had more sons, I would give them to this country, too."

Jivanjee joined the Air Force in 2004 after graduating with a degree in electrical engineering from the University of California at Los Angeles. He was commissioned as an officer through the ROTC program.

"Since the age of 12, Ali has wanted to fly F-15 fighter jets and serve our country," said his brother, Ibrahim, "and he accomplished this goal in the most honorable ways."

At Eglin, Jivanjee began flying the 32,000-pound F-15C tactical fighter, which can reach an altitude of 65,000 feet and hit speeds up to 1,875 mph. Many of the 522 fighters have been used extensively in the Middle East. The Air Force plans to phase out the F-15C for the new Lockheed Martin F-22.

Eglin officials say the base suspended flights for the weekend, but training exercises will resume Monday.

Here's the article from the Tampa Tribune.

By KURT LOFT and LAURA KINSLER, The Tampa Tribune

Published: February 23, 2008

The Pentagon said U.S. Air Force 1st Lt. Jivanjee died from injuries after ejecting from his plane during a routine training exercise over the Gulf of Mexico on Wednesday. A second, unidentified pilot parachuted safely after the two $30 million jets collided.

Is anyone else as %&*&% SICK of the media putting a price tag onto EVERY SINGLE GD ACCIDENT??!!

"Yesterday, Bill Smith was hospitalized with minor injuries after his $18,000 Cessna 172 blew a tire and skidded off the runway."

What the bleep difference does it make how much the fighters costed? Are we trying to emphasize some fiscal tragedy here? SICK OF IT!!!

Latest resources

Back