Alaska

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUBMAN

Can anybody steer me in the right direction with info on how to locate employment in Alaska? Thanks.

Cub

contact PenAir
they fly saab's and metro's as well as 135 a/c
growing company with good management and work schedule and decent pay

A Superior Pilot makes use of his Superior Judgement to avoid situations which might require use of his Superior Skills.

"Ifly": Hmmm. I recall reading that above the doorway in Bethel. Perchance we've passed wingtips?

Cubman, do a search here. There's been lot's of wisdom shared here on the boards for AK jobs. Best part of my career, by a long shot. PM me if you wanna, I'd be interested to see how you're coming along with your search.

Ronin

A Superior Pilot makes use of his Superior Judgement to avoid situations which might require use of his Superior Skills.

"Ifly": Hmmm. I recall reading that above the doorway in Bethel. Perchance we've passed wingtips?

Cubman, do a search here. There's been lot's of wisdom shared here on the boards for AK jobs. Best part of my career, by a long shot. PM me if you wanna, I'd be interested to see how you're coming along with your search.

Ronin
I have liked that quote since before I was in AK, but, I think that SOB Woody had a plaque with that inscripted in his office as well as above the stairs in the Bethel maint. hangar after they built the upstairs section. Probably the only thing I have in common with that jackass Woody! Did you know he had his own island near Emo? LOL What a crock that place is! If I recall your previous posts, I was there before you...I don't think we have met... :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been over 'Woody's Island' several times... just outside of Nunam Iqua (Sheldons point)! What a goof!

Where's your avatar from?

Ronin

Ha.... Its from PAEH

www.flyalaska.com just completed a major update to the directory of Alaska flight operations (long time coming), but now only for members ($19.95 a year). He has apparently deleted no-longer-valid operators, added new ones and updated contact information and email addresses. The membership section includes daily updates on Alaska job offers.

I got into the membership section a few years ago when it was still a lifetime membership, but a couple of years ago he changed it to a one year membership. But it is still the best single source of information for Alaska flying jobs and cheap for the info provided. There are over 300 listed 135 operators and over 200 with website links.

One thing about Alaska flying jobs is that most operators require 1000 hours TT and some Alaska time or "equivalent," and possibly some time in type ie. C 206 etc. "Equivalent" is usually mountain time. There are a few who require only the FAA 135 minimum of 500 hours, but probably less than a dozen. Insurance requirements tend to dictate the required pilot minimums.

K2 Aviation out of Talkeetna requires no Alaska time, but tail dragger time is a big plus and 2000 hours is their minimum. They fly climbers onto the glaciers of Mt. McKinley and tourists around the mountain in Cessna 185s on wheel skis and over the mountain in an oxygen-equipped Piper Navaho. They also fly single-engine turbine otters which may head up to those heights as well (well over 20,000 feet, but still close to the terrain).

According to the job postings in the membership section of flyalaska.com, Smokey Bay Air out of Homer is looking for a C206 pilot. Homer is an interesting fun community, but I'm not so sure that I would be interested in flying tourists 70 miles across the open waters of Cook Inlet in a Cessna 206 for a tide water beach landing to look at bears for a few hours. Although, Smokey Bay Air does many local flights that don't require long over-water legs. They fly tours on their side of Cook Inlet including the Harding Ice Fields, Kachemak Bay, and other scenic flights in that neck of the woods.

Anyway, I love flying in Alaska. It's an adventure any time of the year. Float flying is especially cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Gents. I appreciate some good info and the polite behavior also. So many others posts on this site are so negative it leads me to believe that Alaska pilots are happier in their work.

Cubman

Does anyone know anything about Air Arctic? I never heard of them before, but that doesn't mean anything. Navajo's out of Fairbanks. Tour stuff. Looking for any info~

Thanks,
Ronin

Latest resources

Back