• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska profit huge!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First off, you just identified one of the biggest problems.

Secondly, I think what you will see is more flying out of LAX to other California cities that aren't close to another airline's hub, or are inconvenient to drive to another hub, i.e. STS. Places like SBP, MTY, etc., that would introduce feed to the Alaska, Delta and American networks, and provide a small amount of business point-to-point flying.

You may also see some more intra-Cali flying from SJC and maybe SMF. I think routes like MFR-LAX, that are too long on a Q400 will dissapear and everyone will be fed through SEA, PDX, LAX, and possibly SJC. (I would love to see them put a base in ANC and use the Q400 up there, but the politics won't allow it.) That way all Q400 flights longer than about 1 1/2 hours will dissapear, unless there is absolutely no competition, where a premium price can be commanded.

After the fleet is all Q400, it will be rebranded as Alaska Express, or something, with a little eskimo on the tail. They will then contract out a 3rd party to fly Embrear 175/190s and paint them Alaska Express as well. These jets will have first class and the inflight ammenities will be the same as Alaska. Nothing in either the Horizon nor Alaska pilot contracts prevent them from doing this.

If the costs are then competitive with other regionals, they will bid to third parties for Q400 flying in other parts of the country and will not have to worry about the complaint of Horizon competing against itsself, as they did when doing the Frontier Jet Express flying.

I certainly hope I am wrong, but it seems as if managements statements about changes at Horizon/3rd party flying are showing up more frequently.

I think that about covers it.;)

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO correct. I hope it doesn't happen but a 3rd party WILL come in some time with 175/190's. Personally, If QX loses all the RJ's and picks up a ton of Q400's. I would trade growth for a jet any day. Honestly, the Alaska on the tail of the Q may look quite nice.

Alaska Air buys 2 more 737s from Boeing
(AP) – 3 hours ago
SEATTLE — Boeing Co. has sold two more 737-800s to Alaska Air Group for $153 million apiece, the companies said Thursday.
Alaska Air, which operates Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air, will take delivery of 13 "Next-Generation" 737s over the next several years. The carrier already has 116 737s in its fleet.
More than 125 customers have placed orders for more than 5,400 737s. Unfilled orders exceed 2,000 airplanes, Boeing said.
Boeing shares rose $3.42, or 5.4 percent, to close at $66.60. Alaska Air shares added $1.33, or 2.8 percent, to end at $49.26.

Too bad these are replacement aircraft.

I sincerely hope they did not pay 153,000,000 for EACH of these airplanes.

What assumptions did you make on your spreadsheet? I multiplied the APC Virgin Captain rate by 5% to include 401(k) match, and the Alaska FO rate by 13.5% to account for B fund contribution and the VA captain barely comes out ahead. I just don't see how a VA career could be worth more. Captain rates at Alaska are much higher, as of now we have been earning decent profit sharing and our vacation maxes out at double that of Virgin's.
I think he based it on the fact that Alaska will not recall those guys until 2013.....better to get in at the beginning of upward movement than to wait 3 years to go back as a new hire to an airline with zero planned growth for the future....I would say run not walk.....no employee is benefiting from huge profits at Alaska

S.E. is taking my job? Thanks, Capt. E.

Do you really expect any chief pilot for any airline to let a flight cancel when he can fly the trip and prevent the cancellation? I'm not saying I advocate his actions, I just think he did what any other management pilot would do.

Do you really expect any chief pilot for any airline to let a flight cancel when he can fly the trip and prevent the cancellation? I'm not saying I advocate his actions, I just think he did what any other management pilot would do.
His duty day was 12:20. Plus how much office time did he log before he got called to fly?????

Did the ALK 737 at the gate (7AM) in MSP have anything to do with staffing? I looked at the schedule. Just the normal 1pm & 6pm flights scheduled today.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back