• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska profit huge!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Q - Then what model should we have? As long as we lead the way in terms of per hr cost then we will always be under bid. Not trying to call you out but how do you thikn QX should run?

Watch Flt #67 today. Pair # 1061. With a quick glance at SEA and ANC F/O res today - it looks like #67 is going to be late at best or possibly cancelled.
What's this "pick up only" tag? I would gladly pick up a Premium trip today to drop my straight time trip tomorrow - work the same number of days and get paid more doing it.

Q - Then what model should we have? As long as we lead the way in terms of per hr cost then we will always be under bid. Not trying to call you out but how do you think QX should run?

I think QX has just reached it's life span as an independent branded carrier. AS keeps it small because it is owned by ALK. If it ever has loads that are too high, the route goes to AS. If it is a light, money looser, QX gets it. QX really cannot grow as an independent brand, and is not worth its cost when compared to hiring a 3rd party contract. With the comments on Brand Confusion, I would bet it will be re-branded as AS Express to help bolster the main line brand. This is the best option for it. Then at least it can operate in other parts of the country, ie Alaska, Hawaii, Cali, without everyone saying "Who is this new Verizon Airlines?"

What's this "pick up only" tag? I would gladly pick up a Premium trip today to drop my straight time trip tomorrow - work the same number of days and get paid more doing it.

If you were to do that, your name would be placed on the "list".:angryfire It is just as bad as picking it up. You are helping them when they are short, and enabling their poor staffing model. Don't stoop to the level of the other greedy people.

Q - Then what model should we have? As long as we lead the way in terms of per hr cost then we will always be under bid. Not trying to call you out but how do you thikn QX should run?

First off, you just identified one of the biggest problems.

Secondly, I think what you will see is more flying out of LAX to other California cities that aren't close to another airline's hub, or are inconvenient to drive to another hub, i.e. STS. Places like SBP, MTY, etc., that would introduce feed to the Alaska, Delta and American networks, and provide a small amount of business point-to-point flying.

You may also see some more intra-Cali flying from SJC and maybe SMF. I think routes like MFR-LAX, that are too long on a Q400 will dissapear and everyone will be fed through SEA, PDX, LAX, and possibly SJC. (I would love to see them put a base in ANC and use the Q400 up there, but the politics won't allow it.) That way all Q400 flights longer than about 1 1/2 hours will dissapear, unless there is absolutely no competition, where a premium price can be commanded.

After the fleet is all Q400, it will be rebranded as Alaska Express, or something, with a little eskimo on the tail. They will then contract out a 3rd party to fly Embrear 175/190s and paint them Alaska Express as well. These jets will have first class and the inflight ammenities will be the same as Alaska. Nothing in either the Horizon nor Alaska pilot contracts prevent them from doing this.

If the costs are then competitive with other regionals, they will bid to third parties for Q400 flying in other parts of the country and will not have to worry about the complaint of Horizon competing against itsself, as they did when doing the Frontier Jet Express flying.

I certainly hope I am wrong, but it seems as if managements statements about changes at Horizon/3rd party flying are showing up more frequently.

I think that about covers it.;)

If you were to do that, your name would be placed on the "list".:angryfire It is just as bad as picking it up. You are helping them when they are short, and enabling their poor staffing model. Don't stoop to the level of the other greedy people.

Where can one find "the list"?

Watch Flt #67 today. Pair # 1061. With a quick glance at SEA and ANC F/O res today - it looks like #67 is going to be late at best or possibly cancelled.

ANC Chief Pilot is flying the trip as a FO. Can they do that?

Latest resources

Back