• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska LAX-SJO LAX-LIR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You think those poor people in Socal can afford to fly to Costa Rica because aren't all of the rich people in Seattle and Portland?:D Anyway, I'm glad that it only took just over a decade to realize that flying to Costa Rica is a good idea.

Cool. We can bring Christianity to the natives! Congrats to the Eskimo on the new discovery!

Cool. We can bring Christianity to the natives! Congrats to the Eskimo on the new discovery!

I don't know why but a song by Iron Maiden just popped up into my head... "run to the hills, run for your lives....".

Because that's what the industry needs...More seats to destinations everybody else is already flying to.

Let's see..., in recent years...Spirit....JB....Alaska....Prob SWA soon.....price wars start and everybody loses.

Because that's what the industry needs...More seats to destinations everybody else is already flying to.

Let's see..., in recent years...Spirit....JB....Alaska....Prob SWA soon.....price wars start and everybody loses.

? Really ? That's about the dumbest posted recently. It's called competition. Why not apply that logic to Delta in Seattle?

Southwest will provide the industry with the much needed overcapacity (sarcasm included) and try to drag Spirit, JB, Alaska, Frontier and all the legacies into a battle for Mexico and close in cities already with enough seats provided with a good margin for all.......but SW has -800s now and we all must respect the new International Darlings.

Am I to take this to mean a "good margin for all" only applies to current market participants? If SWA comes to a market and fills seats with customers formerly flying on another airline but now choosing Southwest instead, that is the definition of competition is it not. If the product and price are superior, the customers will not change brands. If passengers are not shopping for a better alternative the current players have nothing to worry about and SWA will be flying empty aircraft until they decide to remove their capacity from the market.

? Really ? That's about the dumbest posted recently. It's called competition. Why not apply that logic to Delta in Seattle?
Bill is firmly rooted in the belief that whatever airlines currently have market share are the only airlines that deserve market share. Competition means some of that market may be redistributed to other airlines and that is patently unfair.

Howard...

In case you missed it...the industry has consolidated and the carriers are now doing things profitably because they are essentially re-regulating the routes they fly. One carrier does it and profits accordingly. The airlines are done beating themselves up by competing over a penny yield. They leverage their strengths....hubs and routing systems.

As has been predicted, overcapacity will erode all earnings. If you think people are brand loyal, you are drunk on your kool aid. They are price loyal....period end of story. If a price war starts up, all carriers on the route loses....

Whats the goal Howard? World domination or profitability? Or both? Drive out your competition?

And for the clown who complained about my airline in Seattle....we had a great arrangement with Alaska to feed our larger and always increasing widebody routes. Everybody won, both airlines benefitted......then, Alaska got greedy and started to feed and codeshare for a larger competitor on routes that directly competed with our narrowbody routes.

If you think we aren't going to fight that....you are nuts. Alaska drew first blood in that fight and we are going to feed ourselves....

Alaska drew first blood? Really Bill? This is what the rest of the world calls "business decisions." It's not personal little buddy...its business. And how about a big fat "thank you" to Tilden and Co for saying no. You get to do the flying now! You won! We won! You were whining before about Anderson giving away your west-coast flying and now you are whining about having it back. If I were you I'd stick to gear-jerking and leave the big boy decisions to management. But I hope you stay as I find you amusing.

Latest resources

Back