Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

scubabri

Junior Mint
I think I finally have enough time to start applying for jobs up in Alaska. When would be a good time to start sending resumes, and if I was go fly up there for a week or so, when and where would be the best places to go the get the best results?

Thanks

B.

Not much going on in the winter. Most of the bush flying jobs start in the spring and last till early fall.

What do you want to do and where in AK? There are lots of guys/gals on the forum here with AK experience.

I know Island Air in Kodiak is usually looking for new blood but I am not sure what is going on these days up there.

Good Luck

What do I want to do? That's interesting. Ideally I would go up there, build some quality time flying and then find me a charter job back down here in the states after 5-6 years.

What I'm afraid of is that I'll love Alaska so much that I'll never want to leave.. so there is that. I'm 37 years old and I just started on this new career after 15 years in the computer industry. I'm having a good time teaching, but overall, it's just not for me and I don't want that dissatisfaction to reflect in the quality of the students education.

I have no family, not married, no dog, cat, fish, I own a bed and a washer/dryer now, but I'm pretty mobile, and I've got some cash in the bank that I could live on if need be (at least for a short time)

So, anyone who could help out, it would be appriciated.

B.

If you want twin time, you want to head north. Flights out of Nome service St. Lawrence Island, roughly 140nm across the Bering Sea so everybody there has twins. Kotzebue and Barrow have lots of twins as well. Bethel has lots of singles as most of that flying is across the tundra.

Home sweet home....

I used to fly in Bethel last winter and I can vouch for the number of singles mixing it up in the 500 & 1 that I used to deal with. I lived in Kotzebue also and the twin operators out there will want around 3000TT and 500+ of multi time before they'll even look at you, let alone turn you loose in a Navajo. Do you have any Alaska time now? Because that's the first thing any operator will ask you. I was born and raised in Alaska and they still harassed me on how much Alaska time I had when I went for a job in the bush. Your best hope with 1000 hours of time is to get a job flying a 207 or something smaller, (they even have 172's in the bush) if you want to do some bush flying. Start knocking on doors in a few months. Winter in southcentral and western AK at least has been pretty mild this year and last year (I say it's global warming but they don't believe me) so some operators might start up the spring flying a little earlier than usual. You can pretty much forget about flying out of Anchorage for anybody with 1000 hours unless you want to instruct. (That's how some people get their Alaska time by the way) Even for Era unless you want to sling bags for a year. Some of my buddies that are still there and have been living there can't find a decent job and have gone out to the bush. Anchorage operators can afford to be very picky about who they hire 'cause everybody wants to fly out of ANC. The bush will be your best bet. A piece of advice though if you head out there, KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS! Don't let them push you into something you're not comfortable with. KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS, about the area you're flying in. Don't trust the box in the airplane with your life, use it as a tool. (An old bush pilot that was showing me the ropes told me that, and I'll never forget it, no matter what I fly). And for those of you who don't know what the "box" is, click on the link below. Oh, and KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS! My coworker almost killed himself flying into a hill last year, we all went to work that morning not knowing weather he was dead or alive. I don't want anybody else to go through that. It was pretty unsettling. Feel free to ask me questions if you like. I'll try and answer them.

The box

Last edited:
Hey, is there anywhere on the web you can see participating Capstone aircraft? Kind of like watching live radar on some websites?

LAB Flying service out of Juneau. Lynn Bennett is the DO/ I believe Chuck Taylor is still the chief pilot and they do participate in the capstone program.............

LAB

-Yep.. they're flying with Capstone....

They have it installed in the Seneca, Chieftain, Six, Lance AND ARCHER!!! sweet

and the CP is Chuck Thompson

;) GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS

what are most places looking for in terms of time. i am guessing that the cfi is the way of getting alaska time

Era's TWOtters out in BET have capstone. Its a pretty nifty set-up!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back