Alaska Instructors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lumax

A few weeks ago I heard a rumor (I know, rumors!!) that Alaska was going to get rid of its instructors, send them back to the line and hire non seniority list instructors. FOSIs I think they are called. Anyone else hear this?

we have used FOSI's the last few years or so and they have put some instructors back to the line since the furloughs and lack of training needed since the transition out of the MD-80s'

I was hired in 07' and was trained by a FOSI without a seniority #. He was waiting to get an interview as a pilot.

To add to your rumor, the word is that AS is trying to get all the training in the fall,winter,spring, so nobody is in the training department in the summer high months.

I was hired in 07' and was trained by a FOSI without a seniority #. He was waiting to get an interview as a pilot.

To add to your rumor, the word is that AS is trying to get all the training in the fall,winter,spring, so nobody is in the training department in the summer high months.

100% true.

Don't forget: 1/3 the vacation per day per seat available during the "summer months."

Type ratings, line checks, MV and LOE can only be conducted by Alaska Check Airman. Its in the little document called a CBA.

This is not news...this has been the plan for awhile now. CBA min vacations in the summer...with little if any training. Little vacations with the school house on the line means summer is covered without having to recall anyone.

As far as replacing line pilots...there is very little the FOSI's can do when there is no hiring or upgrading. Because of the CBA all they can do right now is day one of recurrent. They can't do day 2 (MV) nor day 3 (LOE).

Latest resources

Back