Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GuppyPuppy

Living the Dream
Curioius as to why Alaska is hiring so many pilots this year. What the new markets they will enter, or is the hiring to beef up the markets they already serve?

Other questions...

How long to upgrade?

Min days off/month?

Guarantee?

Report time for reserve call in?

Per diem?

Paid uniforms?

How long to hold a line in each domicile?

A fund / B fund or both for retirement?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later.

Cheers!

GP

Alaska Questions

I've heard 98 new hires this year. We just had a HUGE company bid for about 52 new captains. The back fill from this bid, plus recent retirements is the reason for the hiring. This company has always run a little lean, SEA is rumored to be having some problems with covering the summer lines. There are no new markets on the drawing board that I have heard of.

I think the junior captain is SEA (maybe LAX) at about 4 to 4.5 years. Reserve crews get 11 days off a month. Line holder can get 12 to 16 days off. A reserve line is a mix of R days (4 hour call out) and A days (2 hour call out). Reserve lines are 76 hours, hard lines are 85 hours. Two types of per diem - I think its like $1.30 an hour for a day trip and $2.00 an hour for a RON. You buy your uniform - only 15 easy monthly payments and its all yours. The best leather jacket I have ever worn is made for us by San Diego Leather for $375.

Time to line depends on base. SEA and LAX are probably a year, but needless to say somebody has to be on the bottom and will be there for a while when movement is slow like it is now. ANC is very senior, a couple of years to hold the line. We have an A and a B fund. Pretty standard stuff. Company contributes 3% to the 401.

There are about 1560 pilots on the list right now. There are some huge retirements coming 4, 5, 6, and 7 years from now. We will be loosing 40 to 70 pilots per year during those years. That is pretty significant to a small pilot group like ours.

This is an awesome place to work. This job is better than I could have ever imagined. I would never want to work any where else.
Good luck to all.

hehehe

Sorry man, I couldn't resist!

If you didn't have your stuff in UPAS prior to 911 then you need to just keep checking the Alaska website for the application download. I heard it's free.

Good luck-AV8

Latest resources

Back