Alaska heading downhill?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mamma

ANCHORAGE — Alaska Airlines ranked as the worst airline in the nation for on-time arrivals and departures during May, according to a new federal report. The airline said its June on-time performance also was horrible, but that July's numbers have improved.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002371728_airline10.html

It is sad to see an airline that had such loyal passengers and employees head in this direction. I think a shake-up in management is needed.

It is too bad. Very short term thinking on management's part to screw over so many different employee groups in such a short period of time.

I commuted on them all the time, and it was like things just changed, almost literally, overnight! It was suddenly routine for my flights to be delayed 2+ hours. I have friends working over there, and they are not too happy about things.

LAXSaabdude.

To quote one of ALPA's hired guns,

"Managments get the unions they deserve"

And it would appear that they actually believe this TA is going to pass. It is amazing how out of touch with reality these people are. Ayer made over $1.8 million in total compensation in 2004. Glad he is sharing in the pain. That is real leadership.

If I hear the words "industry standard" one more time, I'm going to hurl. I just received our "leader's" personal letter in the mail today, imploring the employees to get the airline back on track. He waited until the top of the third page to tell us, "... while we cannot lose ground on the important financial changes we have achieved, we will be open to any practical solutions to fix the root causes of our current operational problems."

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to go pound my head against the wall...

Cause and effect.

No kidding.

I ride regularly on these guys and the change has been, um, stark.

But if you look at the cause, even a child could've predicted the effect.

Another example of the short term leadership that is spreading like wildfire and it's not just in our industry.

It's becoming cultural. Everybody wants something for nothing.

Management may soon wake up and see who really runs an airline. Until then, good luck.

mar said:
No kidding.

Another example of the short term leadership that is spreading like wildfire and it's not just in our industry.

It's becoming cultural. Everybody wants something for nothing.

To them it is long term. When you are making $1.8 million your long term goals are only a few years. These people will be out of here in a few years after raping the company for all they can get. They will have screwed up a once great airline, but they will be millionaires. So what do they care. It is amazing how many alaska pilots still defend Ayer. They just can't see him as a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Latest resources

Back