Alaska flight jobs-next spring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

troy

I'm looking at possibly going to Alaska next spring to earn some flight hours. Anyone have any info on where to look? thanks

Hi

You can do a search. Every couple of weeks someone posts a similiar question.

The answers are always the same.

It's easier if you live in Alaska. There's a fundamental distrust of guys looking for work that live outside the state (for good reason).

Know what you're getting into before you decide this is really what you want to do.

Good luck.

>>>>>>What is the reason?

well a variety of reasons, I suppose.

One is that someone who actually lives here might be reasonably expected to have some idea of what they're getting into. There's quite a few folks who seek jobs (not just pilot jobs) up here after watching a few too many episodes of Northern Exposure. Then they get off the plane in Emmonnak and realize that there is no quaint downtown with brick buildings with a cozy friendly cafe and young moose wandering through the streets. There are no pine trees (that part always kills me, but then dendrology probably isn't taught in tv producer school) there's no trees at all. Instead of colorful, loveable, characters, there's sullen, resentful natives who dislike you for the color of your skin and curse at you without knowing you. The buildings are plywood and corrugated metal and are sinking into the mud behind a heap of derlict snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. The last moose to wander downriver was shot (out of season) before he came within 50 miles of your new home.

There has been more than one new pilot, or teacher, or whatever, who has turned right around and gotten back on the very same plane that they flew in on and headed back to Kansas. So the operator, or the school district, is out the cost of the airfare and still has an unfilled position.

That's not to say that it's all bleakness and despair, but sometimes you have to dig through several layers of bleakness and despsir to find the silver lining. If you hire somone who has already spent a winter in the bush, they won't be surprised when they get off the plane, and they likely have thier coping strategies in place, and know where to dig to find thier version of the silver lining.

A Squared,

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Troy,

One operator who always seems to be hiring, and regularly hires people from the lower 48 is Cape Smythe Air Service. PO Box 549, Barrow, AK 99723. (907)852-8333. The DO is Dave Henley and CP is named Dave Shimmel (sp?)

There has been more than one new pilot, or teacher, or whatever, who has turned right around and gotten back on the very same plane that they flew in on and headed back to Kansas. So the operator, or the school district, is out the cost of the airfare and still has an unfilled position.
That's funny, A good friend of mine works out of bethel, he's from Kansas.

supsup

Then they get off the plane in Emmonnak and realize that there is no quaint downtown with brick buildings with a cozy friendly cafe and young moose wandering through the streets. There are no pine trees (that part always kills me, but then dendrology probably isn't taught in tv producer school) there's no trees at all. Instead of colorful, loveable, characters, there's sullen, resentful natives who dislike you for the color of your skin and curse at you without knowing you. The buildings are plywood and corrugated metal and are sinking into the mud behind a heap of derlict snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. The last moose to wander downriver was shot (out of season) before he came within 50 miles of your new home.

That pretty much covers it.

When I was 8 my dad traded a bottle of whiskey for a 6 month old Acrtic Cat with a broken drive belt. It sat where the belt gave up, noboby wanted to change it. 1/2 hour latter we drove it on the back of the truck.

Mark

A Squared said:
>>>>>>What is the reason?

One is that someone who actually lives here might be reasonably expected to have some idea of what they're getting into. There's quite a few folks who seek jobs (not just pilot jobs) up here after watching a few too many episodes of Northern Exposure. Then they get off the plane in Emmonnak and realize that there is no quaint downtown with brick buildings with a cozy friendly cafe and young moose wandering through the streets. There are no pine trees (that part always kills me, but then dendrology probably isn't taught in tv producer school) there's no trees at all. Instead of colorful, loveable, characters, there's sullen, resentful natives who dislike you for the color of your skin and curse at you without knowing you. The buildings are plywood and corrugated metal and are sinking into the mud behind a heap of derlict snowmobiles and 4-wheelers. The last moose to wander downriver was shot (out of season) before he came within 50 miles of your new home.
Ahh yes Bethel in the winter - that brings back memories....

Latest resources

Back