• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska flight jobs-next spring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ahh yes Bethel in the winter - that brings back memories....
Ah yes, spent a few summers and a winter or two in Bethel.

Good flight school up there, especially before the GPS was "invented"....One would fly low, really low and count the lakes with one finger on the chart.
Landings in 30 knots direct cross wind in an over loaded C-207..

Good 'ole days.

A Squared: Very well said..Indeed there is a silver lining somewhere out there in the bush.

Twotter76 said:
Whats a chart? I always used the eskimo location device (ELD). Those who know choose ELD.
Ha. Is that when your passenger's heads turn as you pass their village? That's how you know you've passed the airfield.

Anyone flown out of Barrow? Wondering who/what's up there now. I've plenty of AK time, and I really like getting the low down from recent 'been there/done that' folks.

Ronin

I was recently down in Honduras and met a woman from Barrow. She's a social worker and works with the Eskimo tribes. Her trip down central america was financed via the Alaska fund, so that's one benefit. They are very dependent on aviation to bring in supplies. She said the tribes still hunt whales. Sounded like a pretty horrible place to live to me, but she said she liked it.

I was recently down in Honduras and met a woman from Barrow. She's a social worker and works with the Eskimo tribes. Her trip down central america was financed via the Alaska fund, so that's one benefit. They are very dependent on aviation to bring in supplies. She said the tribes still hunt whales. Sounded like a pretty horrible place to live to me, but she said she liked it.

Barrow sounds like a fun and relaxing place to live not much car noise, traffic, or humans and great seasonal hunting and fishing. But I am weird!

Native NDB, or Native Navigation... it works pretty good! Who else could look at the remaining sticks of a trashed old fishcamp and know that you're 8.5 miles east of the village?

(in Native muffled voice)
"Thatsh my unclesh fishcamp, pilot.... turn left"

Ah yes, I remember spending quite a few nights in the nurse's office at the local village school because I couldn't penetrate the weather VFR.

It's funny (but not really), that I went up there looking for flight time and scared the piss out of myself over and over. But now that I am a captain on a corporate jet, I find myself yearning to get back...What's up with that?

Not so crazy, cfi;

I've found that Alaska allows one to be as cowboy or as professional as one wants. It provides challenges that you can't find hardly anywhere else, but the skills you acquire, the experiences you can draw from, can apply to daily flight operations most anywhere. Even if it's just a confidence thing. That's what I've found, anyway. Every day here allows me to learn something, to hone something, and many of those things I would never develop anywhere else. Don't know if that makes sense, but that's how it feels.

Unfortunately, one of the things it's been teaching us here lately is how to cope with loss. We (pilots, dispatchers, dockhands, etc) had an end of the season beach BBQ. Season stories came out, and for the first time in over a month, we all laughed so hard we were wiping tears away. It was well needed, and certainly overdue.

Fly hard, fly safe~

Ronin

Yeah, Alaska provides for the best stories. I only flew up there for one year. I've flown another 4 years down here, but no stories are as much fun to tell as the AK ones! (Like flying Lake Clark Pass for an hour in beautiful weather only to turn the corner and have it drop to 0/0 over Cook Inlet. WWYD?...haha)

Latest resources

Back