Alaska Emergency Equipment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YOMERO_FLY

We are taking the boss to Alaska for a fishing trip in a Challenger. I was reading that Alaska Law requires that no pilot may make a flight without carrying among other things sufficient food for all, for 2 weeks, a pistol, a small gill net, etc.

Has anybody heard about this? We would probably be over weight with a full boat.

Get an Alaska Supplement. It has all the required items listed in it. Not as heavy as you would think. (the pistol is not required.. it is Pistol OR fishing net)

I'm not sure that is required; I think it may just be recommended. I flew 135 up there and no commercial carriers were carrying that stuff.

I found the info in the Canada Jepps. There is a list and it is different for the time of year. Winter is more stuff than summer.

It has been a while since I've flown in Alaska but did so for 15 years. It is recommended that you carry all the survival gear but there is no agency that enforces the rule except the survival of the fittest . It was and is mainly for small bush aircraft that end up trying to land where they shouldn't. I know you won't find any airlines carrying that equipment nor anyone making a tech-stop in PAFI or PANC.

The items make sense if you are departing from a major Alaskan airport to a bush airport or some remote gravel bar and you go down. I flew helicopter rescue for the US Army out of Fairbanks and brought back many a fellow aviator that almost missed that tree or rock on landing or that magneto that missed a beat on climb out not to mention the fuel tank that just didn't have enough to make it back. However, if you are cruising into Fairbanks or Anchorage and can make the runway save the weight for all that salmon you'll be bringing home.

I would expect in a Challenger that you would not be doing much bush flying. All the regs require is overwater equipment. I flew in Alaska for a few years and the bush guys needed all of what you are talking about. Just common sense. But in the Challenger will only be going to bigger and hard surfaced airports. It is a big place and can be unforgiving but take what you think you need. Your passenger will probably be going to the outlying points in smaller aircraft and those will have any additional survival equipment. I have flown in and out of Alaska recently and it never even crossed my mind to have additional survival equipment other than what is required for overwater.

I have flown in and out of Alaska recently and it never even crossed my mind to have additional survival equipment other than what is required for overwater.

That may be true, but after researching it last year I found that it is required. There is no mention of bush flying. I wish I had the CA Jepps in front of me, because it is very plainly stated. There is a list for Summer and one for winter. We pretty much had everything already on board. Of course, you could always risk not getting ramp checked.:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back