Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This could get ugly.

SWA 2nd qrtr = 102.3 million profit
I can see this thread getting very ugly very quickly, and this board is severely biased towards SWA.
I can say this much: In the last 30 years you refer to Alaska has failed to make a profit only about five times. That pretty much beats every major with the exception of SWA. But the difference is that SWA, as everyone knows, does business a LOT different than most airlines. What they have accomplished is nothing short of phenomenal. But there are some little items that have not been an issue until recently for SWA.
Alaska pilots are paid a lot more than SWA, Alaska FA's the same, mechanics the same, etc., etc. In other words, AK makes their profits while enduring a much higher payroll per person than SWA. SWA pilots just got a hefty raise and the FA's and Mechanics are coming shortly. I think you are about to see a big shrink in SWA's profits, IMHO.
There are a lot of ways you can compare airlines, so It would take a lot of room to compare the two. But I'll say this: Alaska pilots have generally more time off, fly less on average, get paid more, have an "A" fund and "B" fund along with stock options and profit sharing, mostly cross less time zones due to the north-south route structure, get more interesting flying, have better technology, have a lot of room for expansion, are the preferred carrier in nearly every market they serve, and most years turn a profit.
There's a lot to be said for those things.
SWA is a great company and was my first choice besides AK. But the only two things SWA had in my book over AK was the fact that they do turn a profit EVERY year, and there's a PHX pilot base. Although, ANC and SEA are about the best places I think a pilot could base (no offense to the LA guys)

"biased towards SWA."
i will go along with the biased towards SWA comment, it is because it is still in the USA. Don't you have to go through another country to get to the land of enchantment?
As far as bigger is better, would you rather interview with AA or UAL ?
You do have to say something about a place that aircraft have the right of way on roads and you can even park in the bar parking lot.

Good Points...

av8instyle - well said brother!
I would add two more points.
One, there is a huge cultural difference between our companies. We certainly have our way of doing things, an attitude that we take to work each day. They have the same- as we have all witnessed from time to time as a brown jet taxies past at 90 knots on its way to the gate. I have several friends who work there and I am sure it is a fine company to work for, but we are very different none the less.
Second, buy a type rating... When I was a young man doing everything I could to achieve the dream I never once considered buying a type rating to get a job. Call it a pet peeve but requiring a pilot to spend a large sum of money to buy some training then give him / her a class date is just a glorified PFT scam in my book. I know, I know - the old argument of 8K is a small price to pay for a multi-million dollar career. Well, lucky for me I will never have to spend that 8K and compromise my personal principles.
Two good companies - two different cultures - both will be around for the long haul.

Hey av8instlye:

Are we talking about destiations served or pax carried? I noticed that America West serves every one of the U.S. west coast cities on your Alaska Airlines list (more than SWA). But I think anyone would agree that AWA does not have a larger pressnce on the west coast than Southwest.

USNFDX said:
Who cares??????????? Grow up.

What are you kidding? This is the best entertainment on this "board" right now :->

Sad times need some humor

no they don't

I noticed that America West serves every one of the U.S. west coast cities on your Alaska Airlines list
Not even close. I'm not gonna go thru that again. Go back and read page one.

This is a little old now.

Look, dudes, I gotta say, I don't think the CEO of a major airline is gonna lie about something as public as who dominates areas of the business. That's pretty public knowledge and he gains nothing by a blatant lie. Think about it for just a minute before posting.

av8instyle:

I stand corrected, AWA only serves 15 of the 16 cities you stated on the first page. Mesa now serves PSP.
not even close

15 out of 16 seems pretty close to me. Perhaps you had better read the first page!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back