• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska & DUI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do not have a DUI but in a recent conversation with a person from AS HR I was told that they can not hire anyone with issues that will prevent them from getting in or out of foreign Countries, AKA Canada. That person also said that the result may not be good if the item is hidden during the application/interview process and then discovered while in class.

Anyone know how far back a DUI makes you a no-go for Alaska? Sure lots of theories on here, but just looking for anyone that has heard a solid answer. Thanks for the help.

Hell you can't even smoke or chew. Good luck to ya!

I have a DUI, I go to Canada often, never had any issues. I feel like this issue has been overblown for years. I was in Canada within 6 months of my DUI and many times since. I don't think I am lucky either, I know of others who claim this is like an old wives tale.

Densoo has a good link and the rules HAVE changed recently. Plenty of info on the internet to find.

My understanding is that the hard line by The Mounties originated due to the US trying to force US draft dodgers to be deported from Canada. Long standing peeing contest between us and our Northern neighbors. Almost 50 years have passed so the Canadians may be getting over it.

And I believe Canada has one of, if not THE, highest rates of DUI in the world. They just have other reasons for doing what they do to US citizens. Also careless driving will get you tossed depending on how long ago it was.

It may be a good idea to physically go to a Canadian consulate and ASK. http://can-am.gc.ca/offices-bureaux/index.aspx?lang=eng

I had a DUI back in 1996, i fly to Canada at least 5 times a month with my charter company with no problems. Now, it is my understanding that if you have only one and it has been more than 10 years with no other problems you are automatically considered rehabilitated. I carry a copy of my court papers and proof of alchohol counseling i recieved just in case it comes up.

Ask any regional crew who regularly goes to Canada and they'll tell you how real the Canada thing is.

I was going to Canada weekly out of the NY area, Ottawa, Toronto, Halifax, Quebec City, Montreal...A DWI on your record was a big deal and would get you into secondary immigration screening there while they called the US authorities to square away the situation. It could take hours.

Normally those with that problem were pulled off that portion of the turn. That or the offender had to do some time with a lawyer to clean up their record somehow.

Latest resources

Back