Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL510GV

Junior Birdman
How about some input from the Alaska guys...

Recent "rumors" go like this; Pilots fairly unified in accepting 10+% wage cuts. Still negotiating work rules. Talks very positive. Then, however, Mgmnt takes pay raise and pilots pull wage cuts off the table in protest. Talks turn "less" positive.

Still looking at March '05 or later for new training to start according to the "official" word from the Company. Once it starts look for 300-500 new hires by 2010 (that's not so far away all of sudden).

Thanks for the comments in advance...

Ninja or CIA?

Dude!
Do you have a tap on Majer's phone line or what? Everything you wrote is the "latest and greatest" rumor, and I just heard about it all two days ago.

We have had a lot of turn over in our MEC in the last few weeks. Bottom line, men have quit because they did not want there name associated with this. Some think that an arbitrator will kill us to the tune of about 20%, which will make the "voting body" of our MEC legal for linching if we could of had 11% and they said no.

We all got a 4% raise on Sunday. That nocks the requested 11% down to 7% if they could have done the deal prior to May 01. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm....

Management's pay

A buddy at my reserve job said that not only is management giving themselves a raise, but they never actually took the "pay cut" they so eagerly announced last year when they asked, and then un-asked the pilots to take a pay cut too. Sounds like some slight of hand going on...

I've heard similar rumors too. That and some routes this summer are already un-flyable do to a lack of pilots.

Re: Management's pay

Rhino said:
A buddy at my reserve job said that not only is management giving themselves a raise,

As an employee of Alaska Airlines that is not covered by a union contract, hence I am considered a "management" employee, I find it interesting that you seem to think I "gave myself" a raise.

He!!, if I did that, it would have been more than 3%, and it would have covered the last 3 years when I got nothing. I have been a pilot my entire career...but now, due to a medical issue, find myself on the other side of the fence, trying to climb back over. I totally am behind the pilots 100%, but the idea that I "gave myself" a raise is a bit of a stretch. Don't you think?

Ninja or CIA?

You know the line..."I could tell you, but..."

flx757... being a pilot, don't get too defensive about your new raise. When you were a pilot flying the line, did you think that guys in the Training Dept were the management "giving themselves a raise?" I don't think so.

Be realistic... The guys that Rhino is talking about are the top level guys... guys (gals) that make the decisions on company strategy. A round figure would be maybe the top 25 or so in the company.

FL510GV

Thanks for putting my previous comments into the correct perspective.

Flx757 -- I know you can no more give yourself a raise than I can decide when my initial training class date will be (or won't be). I don't consider you part of the "them" in the "us vs. them" discussion. We are all just helplessly waiting for the MEC and Alaska Management to bring something forward so this process can come to a conclusion. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

As for me, I'm not making any plans for a "crash pad" until 2005.

FL510GV and Rhino...

I know. Sorry if I came off a little defensive. Being in my position, sometimes I get overly sensitive to the fact that I might be perceived by the pilots I work with as one of "them".

Thanks for not being too hard on me....:D

BTW....everyone I have come in contact with here has absolutely treated me great and made me feel welcome. There are a great bunch of guys here. I really hope things get rolling soon...as I think they will, and maybe I'll see you when you come through.

check your PM

ak737fo check your PM...

I saw the letter sent to the pilots and it didn't have a very nice tone to it. I suppose I shall put my bathing suit back on and get ready to swim for a while.

letter

please expound regarding the "letter" !

Latest resources

Back