• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska CEO pay !

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, that is a genius type question. I've got a couple for you. Which would cost more? DL or SWA buying AK, or United ordering 25 787s, 25 A350s, and options for 50 more of each? That is what United did, and you know they have the most debt compared to any legacy. So smartazz, which is it? Sounds like this business is a cash flow business and not one based on debt. You can ALWAYS add more debt as long as you have the current cash to pay the monthly charges. Not smart, but even our Gov't does that. Where have you been?

Bye Bye--General Lee

So Delta is no smarter than congress$ Hmmmmmm

Wow, that is a genius type question. I've got a couple for you. Which would cost more? DL or SWA buying AK, or United ordering 25 787s, 25 A350s, and options for 50 more of each? That is what United did, and you know they have the most debt compared to any legacy. So smartazz, which is it? Sounds like this business is a cash flow business and not one based on debt. You can ALWAYS add more debt as long as you have the current cash to pay the monthly charges. Not smart, but even our Gov't does that. Where have you been?

Bye Bye--General Lee

What is there dept load it's a simple question! You say that delta is worth 10B but how much debt would one get if they bought delta for that? Mr smarty! And even though united ordered airplanes I don't think they have paid for them yet!

What is there dept load it's a simple question! You say that delta is worth 10B but how much debt would one get if they bought delta for that? Mr smarty! And even though united ordered airplanes I don't think they have paid for them yet!

Look above. Two mistakes in a row. Come on, maybe one is ok, but two in a row?

How could United make any order with their current debt? It's all about moving numbers around "creative" accounting. But, one thing is for sure, DL is currently worth $10 BILLION (market Cap). If Ayers wants to buy DL, he has to come up with atleast that much. That is the point. DL is more like the borg, and it is likely that the borg may want to absorb AK someday. Just accept it.

Here is part of an article from a previous thread about UAL/CAL Merger Buzz:

The objective of being in business is to maximize firm value,” Cordle said. “Big airlines are coming up short in covering their average capital costs.”

He points to the Delta-Northwest merger's creation of a combined market capitalization of nearly $10 billion, close to double the current market capitalizations of United and Continental put together, a statistic United CEO Glenn Tilton quoted last week in an interview with the Financial Times.

“The investor seems to have spoken,” he said. “The market seems to have suggested that scope and scale in global business are important.”

According to Cordle’s valuations, a combination of Continental and United could generate enough in synergies to create additional $5 billion in value, moving the combined company into alignment with the new Delta.

“That is the only reason they should merge,” Cordle said. “I would argue that the opportunity cost of not merging is $5 billion.”

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
I apologize for any mistakes it's hard to type and hike in sunny SIT. But you did not answer my simple question how much dept does Delta have? I never said bill was gonna buy delta but with the big debt, I'm guessing that's why I want the number, can delta afford us!

Someone please shoot me in the head if Delta ever buys little old Alaska!! I will never work for "them" again!

I apologize for any mistakes it's hard to type and hike in sunny SIT. But you did not answer my simple question how much dept does Delta have? I never said bill was gonna buy delta but with the big debt, I'm guessing that's why I want the number, can delta afford us!

This comes from a CAL guy named Ben Franklin, so I don't know if any of this is accurate.

DAL market cap (as of MAR 10 2010): $10,450,000,000 (cal + ual combined market cap for same date: $6,270,000,000)
DAL total liabilities: $43,290,000,000
DAL net tangible assets: ($14,371,000,000)
DAL 2008 operating loss: ($1,707,000,000)
DAL average airframe age: 15.4 years

It sounds terrible I guess, but again, if you pay the payments, then you continue to play. That is what this business has become, a cash on hand business. The 2008 operating loss was a paper loss due to hedging, and cash on hand supposedly increased $400 million that year alone. When it comes down to it, if Ayers wants to let it go, he will, to the highest bidder.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back