Alaska Airlines Poolies?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
in the pool...

I've been in the pool since December 2002. Five of us hired that month. I've heard numbers around 35-40 in the "hired" pool. They've told me to expect something in the fall, MAYBE. Now it looks like perhaps first of the year with all the re-training of the MD-to-737 guys, and 737-to-MD guys. I've heard that the company is gaining a couple new a/c in 2004 and with 27 retirements in 2004 it appears those of us in the pool will be utilized somewhere in the year. Hopefully sooner than later.

I think I'm number 3 in the pool, so that puts me, and those hired in December and January, into the first class... but who really knows?

swimming laps...

I interviewed in January and got the good news from Bonnie in early February. The last I heard was the "class in the fall" rumor but that was before the LAX MD-80 shift happened. I know one of the other two I interviewed with was offered a position also (the third was not). I haven't called anyone because I'm still an activated Reservist. Another Alaska pilot in my squadron also seems to think fall might be a best case scenario due to the training surge the MD-80 issue has caused.

Consider this....

Another thing to consider is the impact of the Vision 2010 plan. The company wants ALPA to sell out the future, and create in effect a permanent B scale. They want all new hires to have a 6% matching 401K and no A-plan (Pension). Old hands can keep their A-plan pension and 3% matching 401K.
Probably won't see any hiring until all this is figured out.

Just talked to a friend that spoke with Paul Majer at OBAP.. Paul said that there is no new hiring planned until 2005.....Sounds like anyone holding out for a job at Alaska better hop in to the SouthWest pool or risk drowning..... what a drag and everyone said that they were doing so well.... sirah, sirah

Dogg,

Say it ain't so. I've about worn the knees out of my dark interview suit. I was hoping I would be retiring it to weddings and funerals.

One idea floated by a smart UAL pilot I know is that AK wants some bodies ready for training in case UAL goes Chapter 7...

If UAL survives...no rush for bodies. In not...then the survivers do the vulture act on the carrion, and AK is eyeing more west coast stuff. They'll need some pilots ready...

Just coffee talk...but threw it out for discussion.

Along with what Albie said, I tend to think America West is getting its fangs ready in ref. to UAL also. It looks the same way on the east coast in ref. to CAL and Delta (mostly with Comair) in their attack on US Air. Hope its not so and everyone comes out on the other side.

Latest resources

Back