Alaska 737-400s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StopNTSing

So the SJS of our new -800s has pretty much dried up: many of us are starting to realize that an -800 is just an accountant's airplane, whereas a -700 is much more of a pilot's airplane. So passing through SEA the other day, the dude I was flying with spots an AS 737-400 at the gate and says "Wow, and we think the -800 is a dog...imagine what that thing must be like!" So how bad is a -400? Filled up with peeps, can it even climb out of FL290? Is any runway less than 10,000 feet a near-emergency procedure?

If you think the -800 is a dog, try a -900.

The -400s are not real performers, but also not as bad as you think.
Look at where we operate them.

Generally....They climb good. They aren't a 700 but the freighter, combi and full pax 400s will climb right on up. They're altitude restricted depending on lat long and time of year sometimes but it usually cruises in the early 30s. They are way better than our early 900s. Those are the pigs of the fleet.

The 400s do a lot of unique flying in the arctic and southeast on shorter runways. Never seems to be an issue. Now watching the 2000 ft marks go under the nose and your not off the ground in a 900 in SEA thats fun....

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. :)

As one crusty old captain told me regarding the 400's:

"Remember, there's 25 years of dudes farting in these seats."

They're great short field performers and climb fine. Would rather have one than a non-winglets 900 any day.

Mookie

The 400 is a great performer below FL300. Better on TO and Ldg. I always think of it as a car in low gears. Get it above FL300 and it runs out of steam. The NG seems to be high geared. Low acceleration, but better top end performance.

Why is it restricted to certain altitudes above a certain place on the globe?

Interesting! Us lower 48 folks are pretty spoiled...and lazy! :) I am jealous of some of the flying Alaska does...it's nice to do some Challenging flying into short strips. Much props.

Latest resources

Back