• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska 110M Profit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way I understand it, though, is that there is no restriction on the number nor size of the outsourced aircraft. Don't you worry that as you become more expensive, that management will simply replace you with a cheaper option?

Cheaper option? There's a lot more to the cost of a seat mile than the hourly rate of a pilot. CASMs on regional jets are much higher. Aren't they almost double (ex-fuel)? Using your logic, we should accept $120/hour. Then we should expect exponential growth like VX.

Load factors are already running 87%+. Mrs. Internet CEO, where do you suggest AAG put these large RJs?

The way I understand it, though, is that there is no restriction on the number nor size of the outsourced aircraft. Don't you worry that as you become more expensive, that management will simply replace you with a cheaper option?

Our problem is that we don't have scope that ties the mainline flying to AAG, just Alaska Airlines. Theoretically AAG could buy Virgin (probably make you pretty happy Jayme) paint a female eskimo on the tail and call it Alaska Air Express, or Alaskan or some other thing and replace us all over time. It's possible, but unlikely--although I'm not one to bet the farm on the word or "good intentions" of a likeable CEO. I agree with CesnaCaptn that a bunch of big RJ won't actually be cheaper, even if the workforce is paid less. We need to move closer to solid scope this time around that ties mainline flying to AAG. Thanks for your input, though Jayme. I know you have nothing but the best of intentions and well wishes for the pilots of Alaska Airlines.

CP

Last edited:
I guess you guys think I have ulterior motives? I'm just labor, like you. The competition is between our CEOs, not you and I.

But since you bring it up, sure, right now I'd be happy to be stapled to the bottom of your list.

coughing up scope to get it. I won't vote for it if it does.
You can't cough up something you don't even have.
Does Skywest pilots flying Air Group equipment on Air Group Routes make you feel like you've got scope?
Scope what scope ?? We don't have any..
Ya Beat me to it. It's amazing how many people have no idea what "operational control" means.
Our problem is that we don't have scope that ties the mainline flying to AAG, just Alaska Airlines.
You think you have that, even? Didn't you used to fly to Long Beach and Reno? Who does that now?

I will give you Alaska guys this. I just flew on you first class from anchorage to dallas with a stopover. It was wonderful. Great flight attendants, great seats and a wonderful product. Almost on time. Really, I enjoyed it. I thought you guys did a great job.

The only mention of scope we have is very loose and it simply states that Alaska Pilots will fly all aircraft under operational control of the company. Which is to say, there basically is no real scope. If the company wants a fleet of big RJ's we need to make sure that there is real, defined, mainline growth permanently attached to every single RJ they want. The Airline is making record profits with 737's and the industry trend is to move to larger AC. I honestly don't the company flying LAX/SEA or up to ANC from the 48 in RJ's. Ever.

Many senior guys don't seem to care about scope since they'll stay in the same seat if they furlough half of us for RJs.

"Show me the money. Screw you, sonny!"

Many senior guys don't seem to care about scope since they'll stay in the same seat if they furlough half of us for RJs.

"Show me the money. Screw you, sonny!"

Bingo....
(the same guys bitched about the $50 furloughed pilot health care assessment)

Mookie

Alaska has always been about brand and service. RJs don't offer that sort of "service" (ie. no first class nor the range and comfort). As long as we stay one type aircraft, scope means didly IMHO. So all you hard core scope guys/gals, how much are you willing to give up $wise to get a strong scope language? BTW, I'm pretty junior.

Latest resources

Back