Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
luv2fly

Hookah,

A bunch of the things you mention as a part of PBS, trading/dropping trips, picking trips with certain layovers, dense pairings. . . etc. are not exclusive to PBS. Here at SWA we can do the same thing without PBS. Which carrier do you fly for? By the tone of your post PBS at your place isn't that bad???

Just curious, if you want to drop a trip without pay and it keeps you above 70 hours, is it guaranteed to drop or does it depend on some type of company net hour count or reserve coverage?

Never said they were exclusive to PBS... just said that w/ PBS you could do that... you SWA guys get edgy too quickly. I fly for B6... not to say that some of us don't get jumpy as well. To get to your question... a drop is not guaranteed. If there is enough reserve numbers available on that date or dates of your requested drop then the system will give it to you. It's not seniority dependent. First come, first served. There isn't a system out there that will let you drop no matter what... if that was the case every airline who did it would not have a single pilot working Christmas... I think PBS is great. I don't see a system that would work any better.

Tail

tailhookah said:
Never said they were exclusive to PBS... just said that w/ PBS you could do that... you SWA guys get edgy too quickly. I fly for B6... not to say that some of us don't get jumpy as well. To get to your question... a drop is not guaranteed. If there is enough reserve numbers available on that date or dates of your requested drop then the system will give it to you. It's not seniority dependent. First come, first served. There isn't a system out there that will let you drop no matter what... if that was the case every airline who did it would not have a single pilot working Christmas... I think PBS is great. I don't see a system that would work any better.

Tail

I dont think he was being "edgy" just curious about pbs because the word has been spreading around here (swa) lately. only he can actually say if he was edgy however.

We cant drop a trip just to drop it reguardless of coverage so that is a nice feature. Vacation pay and overlap is a big sticker here for pbs. its an unknown to us so its nice to hear how it works at other carriers.

You say you could not see a system that would work any better, but have you experienced another airline scheduling system? If so do you like pbs better?
thanks

Yes... I have at one of the legacies... PBS takes crew schedules out of the system. The system has the rules as to how to drop/pickup etc... as long as your request fits into the logic of the rules it grants you the request. It keeps the human factor out of the equation. When there is an IROP (irregular ops- bad weather days etc.) the company will shut down the ability to drop/trip trade due to probability of pilots being out of position. I really don't think there's a better system. The system can only be as good as the rules programed into the logic to allow you to work with. You can also trip trade on the system as well, but this takes an email to crew schedules due to the fact that it's trading one trip w/ another w/ another pilot. So far the system can't do that except have the bulletin board for posting trades. I don't use that system but some guys use it all the time...

tail

ALASKA:

A friend on the 73G based in ANC showed me his bid packet last summer (mind you, the SEA and LAX lines will be much different). All were back-to-back 2-day trips that showed around 8-9pm, flew one red-eye to an outstation (LAS, PHX, ORD) then returned the next night. Average 16 days off and 82 hours of pay.

Melon said:
Can you guys give me an example of trip pairings please? I know there are several types, 2, 3, 4 days etc. I am mainly interested in what a commuter would expect, so probably 4 days.

Thanks!

Sea 737 FO for Feb average 80 hrs credit, 4 on 3 off is the norm which gets you 13 to 14 days off...Lines are not very commuter friendly..ie early start late finish and not very productive...about 5 hrs of block per day.....commuter policy is ok....in sea it is about 4 years to get off reserve as well and you could not commute on reserve...other bases and airplanes may be different

Latest resources

Back