Al Haynes and United 232

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9GClub

Heard Captain Haynes tell his story tonight in Manassas, VA. Very positive guy and sharp as a tack, try to catch his speech sometime if you can. While I was waiting in line for his autograph, the guy in front of me asked how long it took him to get back to work....

"About three months because I had to check out in the sim and get cleared medically.... the doc put me through a 'neurological test'..... asked me to stand on one foot and touch my nose. Hell, I couldn't do that even before the crash."

9GClub said:
Heard Captain Haynes tell his story tonight in Manassas, VA. Very positive guy and sharp as a tack, try to catch his speech sometime if you can. While I was waiting in line for his autograph, the guy in front of me asked how long it took him to get back to work....

"About three months because I had to check out in the sim and get cleared medically.... the doc put me through a 'neurological test'..... asked me to stand on one foot and touch my nose. Hell, I couldn't do that even before the crash."

I met Captain Haynes in EWR one night while waiting for a flight back when I was with COEX. He is a true gentleman.

Cap. Al conducted a program at our company several years ago. At the last minute (after I heard about it), the safety department invited us (corp av. dept.) to attend. After the program, I asked him, "What did you learn about CRM that they didn't teach you in class?). His answer was "That it works". Food for thought, and I don't think anybody since has any better research.

He did his speech/thing here...seemed like a great guy. I was just annoyed he had to endure the ridiculous questions from the students.

The one that got me the most.."Did United see you as a risk because of this?"

To this day, I still marvel at what Capt. Haynes and his flight crew accomplished that day. I haven't had to squak 7700 yet, but if I ever have to I hope that I will be able to stay focused and not panic. I have heard the ATC tapes so many times and I am amazed at the calmness of those that had to deal with an emergency sit. I hope that I can get to that level.

That's the Sioux City Captain correct?

mnixon said:
That's the Sioux City Captain correct?

Yep.

On a side note, I was talking with a retired United captain one day. He was talking about all the aircraft he flew. He started talking about the DC-10 and how much he enjoyed flying with it. He said, "I can't think of one pilot that didn't like the -10." He paused for a second. "Well, Al isn't too crazy about it." I got a chuckle out of it.

Latest resources

Back