AirWis or Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

snap145

Hey guys...got a buddy with interviews at both....which is the better of the two in your opinions based on QOL, upgrade, etc.....will be commuting from the midwest no matter where he goes....i appreciate the info in advance....

Hey guys...got a buddy with interviews at both....which is the better of the two in your opinions based on QOL, upgrade, etc.....will be commuting from the midwest no matter where he goes....i appreciate the info in advance....

If he commutes from the midwest... then I would NOT recommend AWAC. Schedules are not very commutable here, they are doable if you live on the east coast, but from the midwest you are looking at buying a hotel room on one... possibly 2 sides of every trip. Upgrade is around 3 years and holding. Live in base here and have a good quality of life, don't live in base or don't commute from an east coast city, your quality of life will likely not be as good. That said, I hear from the grapevine that comair is hiring into JFK... I can't even imagine the pain someone would ordeal commuting midwest to JFK... PHL sucks but JFK has got to blow.

I can't even imagine the pain someone would ordeal commuting midwest to JFK... PHL sucks but JFK has got to blow.

I can't speak for the entire Midwest, but I commute to JFK from MSP and it's cake. 5 NW mainline flights a day plus 2 SY flights. Much easier than MSP to CVG, for instance.

Upgrade at Comair is about 5 years. They recently cancelled an upgrade class with 50+ new captain positions in JFK.

I have worked at both airlines. Air Wisconsin is the place to work hands down. People at Air Wisconsin complain about schedules and bases, thats because they have it good and don't eaven know it. Comair schedules in JFK were horrible. I would look at the choice of AirWisconsin,Sky West or Express Jet. But stay away from Comair.

Oh and i forgot Air Wisconsin has 12 days for reserve and Comair 11.

Unfortunately, Comair has a cloudy future at best. It could be sold off to Mesa - you never know... I would have your friend focus more on COEX and Republic (E170 beats a clunky CRJ any day) if it ain't too late.

Oh and i forgot Air Wisconsin has 12 days for reserve and Comair 11.

You also forgot to add that reserve at JFK is barely two months (seven weeks in my case). How long is it at AWAC?

(E170 beats a clunky CRJ any day)

SJS much? You know it might be a good idea to base your career decisions on the important stuff like pay, work rules, time off, etc. I mean if you want to fly a nice brand new Airbus 319 for Skybus versus a clapped-out dirty UPS 727, well good luck with that.

Reserve at JFK is just a few months and I know of many who get a line right out of IOE. THis may change a bit but I can't think it will change that much when the close MCO and GSO.

Crashpads run about 230.00 per month give or take (and many don't necessitate a car).

We are upgrading and transitioning as there was a cancelled bid but also a vacancy/displacement bid which will put some new captains in the left seat!).

I think it could be fairly easy to commute to JFK as DL and AA and JB have a hub there but I don't have any first hand experience just from what those who commute have told me.

Latest resources

Back