• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran to Furlough 169 Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys are on the street with the highest credit lines I have ever seen here, and a ton of open time. I am thinking I will be back in November. Or am I wrong about these values?
You are correct in the September bid packs had some high LVI's. However, there is also a ton of reserve lines on both airplanes (more than I have seen in my 4 years at Airtran).

We don't know how much open time there is going to be next month yet. The 3000 hrs plus open time for September you see now is for the SAP process and will be gone when the buildup lines are built on the 28th. I would be very surprised if any reserve pilot blocks over 40 hours next month.

Would be very surprised to see recalling in 2 months as all the downgrade/transition training won't even be complete until Christmas. I believe our union president has seen the company's monthly block hour projections through next summer. He said maybe a few recalls next spring for the summer flying season (attrition to Southwest, Netjets, Middle East could increase those recalls). Other than that, no new airframes until 2010, which would probably require some recalls in spring 2010 for the summer flying season and beyond.

I hope I am wrong. I just flew the last leg of a 4 day trip with a guy who was probably flying his last flight in the 717. Also, we had a jumpseater who is 4 numbers from the bottom of the whole list. The uncertainty of everything is probably what sucks the most. When I flew my last trip on the 727 seven years ago before our company ceased operations, at least I knew there was a 99.9% chance that we were never going to fly for that company again.

Just remind everyone that as of midnight on their last day, they are no longer active employees and cannot operate the aircraft.

A Spirit flight recently cancelled in Kingston because the flight going there was delayed so bad that the departure would have been after midnight. At midnight, the FO packed up his stuff and walked off the aircraft. His was no longer an active employee and had no obligation to operate the flight, especially since he wasn't being paid to do so. The flight cancelled, and whole crew overnighted in Kingston.

You are correct in the September bid packs had some high LVI's. However, there is also a ton of reserve lines on both airplanes (more than I have seen in my 4 years at Airtran).

We don't know how much open time there is going to be next month yet. The 3000 hrs plus open time for September you see now is for the SAP process and will be gone when the buildup lines are built on the 28th. I would be very surprised if any reserve pilot blocks over 40 hours next month.

Would be very surprised to see recalling in 2 months as all the downgrade/transition training won't even be complete until Christmas. I believe our union president has seen the company's monthly block hour projections through next summer. He said maybe a few recalls next spring for the summer flying season (attrition to Southwest, Netjets, Middle East could increase those recalls). Other than that, no new airframes until 2010, which would probably require some recalls in spring 2010 for the summer flying season and beyond.

I hope I am wrong. I just flew the last leg of a 4 day trip with a guy who was probably flying his last flight in the 717. Also, we had a jumpseater who is 4 numbers from the bottom of the whole list. The uncertainty of everything is probably what sucks the most. When I flew my last trip on the 727 seven years ago before our company ceased operations, at least I knew there was a 99.9% chance that we were never going to fly for that company again.

There were a good number of reserve lines for the captains. However, the FO's reserve lines are around the same number as they were in July and August. During those two months they were calling FOs offering 1.5 to come in and fly on your day off. Of course my answer was no since we are putting people on the street.

Just because we are selling and deferring future aircraft orders doesn't mean there is no room too ramp up capacity. Maintenance has said in the week we will have two aircraft as spares (717) with the number increasing to 4 on the weekends. Aircraft utilization has been dramatically decreased. So given the opportunity to ramp up capacity through aircraft utilization that can generate revenue you will see the block hours increase. This should help bring our furloughed pilots back a little sooner.

The thing that makes me nervous about this whole scenario is Bob F said in a recurrent that if we are ever shrinking and not growing we have major problems. Well? In my opinion we had a knee jerk reaction to reducing capacity so quickly. With oil spiking $145.00 in such a quick manner only meant the market forces could not sustain these prices. Some capacity reduction was required, but not to this extent. Only time will tell.

Flown with the man several times..good guy!
What's the deal? C##k block you at a bar?

Your signature... I guess that you are angry that you have tried men TWICE,

Obviously Ron, you haven't watched TNT lately have you?

I will use my 100th post on Akeem........damn shame what they did to that dog.

Latest resources

Back