• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Reports Record 1Q Net Income of $28.7 Million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
how many of the 169 (is that correct?) furloughed guys are taking/have taken recall? did it really save Airtran any money by furloughing for 6 months? in the opinion of Airtran pilots, was it just management playing games during negotiations? thanks. we're having some of these 'furlough' discussions as SWA and I'm interested in how it all went down in Atlanta.

Copied over from another thread:

"Thanks for your concern, but when the decision was made to reduce Airtran's total monthly block hours (and furlough), Airtran was burning through alot of cash. As soon as fuel prices went back below $2/gallon and Airtran became profitable again, everyone was offered a recall due to the fact that we were adding thousands of block hours back into the summer 2009 schedule.

What do you want a CEO to do? Keep flying unprofitable flights or to try to reduce the bleeding?"

Just my take, but I don't think it was game playing. Our union president even said we were very close to filing bankrupcty last July (when our weekly fuel bill went to over $30 million a week). We went from almost bankrupt to having a record First Quarter profit in 6 months due to $1.50/gallon Jet A. There are not many companies in the US anouncing this month that they had record Q1 profits. Airtran's business model does well in a weak revenue environment with low Jet A prices.

Well, since the next 3-5 years look like it will continue that trend, we should be great for the short-term, giving our management time to work out a long-term plan for when fuel comes back up in price.

Either way, no reason they can't reward the pilots with a contract that represents our contribution to the success of the organization.

Set your sights higher than that.

Yep. I don't think that even gets them back to where they were before they took cuts. The only problem is the "realistic" side of me sees that we'd have to get something like a 50% pay raise just to get our FO's to that point. How likely is that? It's gonna take a cooling off period and the willingness to walk...

Methinks it'll take an actual strike, probably at least a week to a month in duration, with this particular management team, with the AAI Board of Director's canning a few key people before anything meaningful is accomplished.

Better start padding that strike fund now.

Thanks....you think I don't know I'm woefully underpaid?

merge with jetblue and figure the payrate by adding the two payrates together.....then and only then will this industry recover from the QOL arse-kicking that it's suffered the past 10 years.

Latest resources

Back