Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pilottodd2

Greetings,
I am doing research on Airtran. Could anyone in the know please answer the following:

1. What is the status of the contract negotiations? What are the highlights that the pilots are pushing for? (What pay for 5-yr CA? 15-yr CA?, total days off per month, etc.)

2. Any rumors to a new pilot base in the near future? If so, where?

3. How is commute from ATL to TPA or MCO?

4. Assuming commuting to FL, which is the better A/C for quality of life issues? 717 or 737?

5. When does medical/dental kick in?

6. Does Airtran have any agreements w/ other airlines for non-reving? i.e. ID-90, ZED fares, or the likes?

7. What could a new-hire expect during first year? How long to hold line? Min days off? Type of flying? (red-eyes, Stand-ups, 1-,2-, 3- day trips, etc)

8. How long to make Captain? 717? 737?

9. How does the bidding work? Build your own lines, or are they pre-determined?

10. Average layover times?

11. # of vacation days first year?

12. Does interview and subsequent training occur in ATL or MCO?

13. Any info on questions that may be asked when called for an interview?

14. If Delta were to go under, would Airtran be in the position to take over much of the flying? International?

No interview yet, but hoping...Thanks

1. Presently in Section 6 negotiations, with a mediator. Highlights, well thats kept pretty close to the chest of the negotiators.

2. No, but there always seem to be some unsubstantiated rumors.

3. MCO is one of the most difficult commutes in the company. Jumpseat is seniority based until one hour prior to departure, then is first there, first on. Pilots can sit on the FA jumpseat, but they have priority on their seat. Non-Cass.

4. Well, for a while 717 lines were better, but with more 73's coming on the property, they're rapidly improving. Doesnt really affect your commute though.

5. Believe its the first day, of the first month after you start.

6. Yes, numerous.

7. About 3-4 months to hold a line. Min days off, cant remember, but an average of 13-15. 737s do red eyes. Standups are on exclusive lines, ie not mixed with regular flying. 4,3,2 and day trips mixed on the regular lines. Expect more 4 days the more junior you are, but that might be good if you're a commuter.

8. 2-3 years-ish. Most junior Capt seems to switch between the two aircraft types.

9. Pre-constructed lines.

10. Umm, 14 hours-ish.

11. seven

12. All in ATL.

13. What day can you make it?

14. Much of the flying....not really. International.....Hell no.

Good luck,
Herewegoagain

herewego again said:
1. Presently in Section 6 negotiations, with a mediator. Highlights, well thats kept pretty close to the chest of the negotiators.

2. No, but there always seem to be some unsubstantiated rumors.

3. MCO is one of the most difficult commutes in the company. Jumpseat is seniority based until one hour prior to departure, then is first there, first on. Pilots can sit on the FA jumpseat, but they have priority on their seat. Non-Cass.

4. Well, for a while 717 lines were better, but with more 73's coming on the property, they're rapidly improving. Doesnt really affect your commute though.

5. Believe its the first day, of the first month after you start.

6. Yes, numerous.

7. About 3-4 months to hold a line. Min days off, cant remember, but an average of 13-15. 737s do red eyes. Standups are on exclusive lines, ie not mixed with regular flying. 4,3,2 and day trips mixed on the regular lines. Expect more 4 days the more junior you are, but that might be good if you're a commuter.

8. 2-3 years-ish. Most junior Capt seems to switch between the two aircraft types.

9. Pre-constructed lines.

10. Umm, 14 hours-ish.

11. seven

12. All in ATL.

13. What day can you make it?

14. Much of the flying....not really. International.....Hell no.

Good luck,
Herewegoagain

Nice response, I'm finishing the app tonight or tomm.. Nice post.

I have to disagree with the statement of "most difficult commute". Granted, MCO and TPA are probably the highest concentrations of commuters, but there are also 8 flights a day to TPA and 9-10 to MCO. That sure beats living where we only have a few flights a day.

I live in Winter Haven (exactly halfway between TPA and MCO). I usually use TPA, but have sometimes used MCO and have only had problems twice. Once was my fault, and the second was a cancelled flight (I still made it on Delta). I got stuck in ATL one night due to a delay and arrived after all our flights were gone. Overall, it's a fairly stress free commute.

Good luck,
Catfish

I've had an app in there for over a year.....they never call...they never write.....

Thanks for the info.

Also, I noticed that Airtran is at a guarantee of 70 hours per month.
1. Is that something you hope to change in the next contract? (75 or 80 guarantee)
2.Aside from that, how many hours per month is a usual line? Is it easy to pick up extra flying on your days off?
3. If you do is it straight pay, or 125%,150%?

4. What is time frame between getting called for an interview and the actual interview? Timeframe between interview and notification (Yes/No)? And time frame between getting job and starting?

Thanks

I have to disagree with the statement of "most difficult commute".

Well Catfish....OK....but I did say 'one' of the most difficult. I don't commute, so take it from the horses mouth, not mine. The FA's now have a virtual base in MCO, so their jumpseat may have loosened up a little.

No idea if guarantee will increase in the new contract.
Average line in the 717 is about 78 hours. All lines are constructed to be similar in line value. Ie there is a "LVI" Line Value Index, and this has certain targets it has to remain under for the calendar year. If the company goes over this amount, overtime is in order. This is pretty much a non-issue, as they will do everything possible to avoid this.

Is it easy to pick up open time....easy if its available, but I don't remember a whole lot of extra time floating around. Maybe someone flying reserve at the moment has a better grasp on whats out there. The most common strategy seems to be to bid for lines that have the 1st, 2nd, 3rd of the month off, as this is time (due to integation) that they are the most short, and are most likely to have open time.

Its straight pay unless you are 'drafted', which is an involuntary down-line assignment. If I recall correctly, pays at 150%.

Timeframes for interview etc, I'm a little rusty on that, but its pretty quick compared to other carriers out there.

Regarding medical, its not awful, its pretty good, its just awfully expensive!!! In my first year I was paying $43.96 per pay check (yes, that'll be that twice for a month), for the HMO Bronze plan. In the second year, this drops (slightly) to $35.16 per check. And that was just for 'ole me. No family, spouse etc. I do believe this is a hot topic for negotiations, but this is what every employee pays. Its not a pilot negotiated benefit, so I don't think they'll have too much leverage. But I'm not on the nego committee, so I'll be quiet on that issue.

401k eligible after one year. Stock purchase at 10% discount after six months. 10.5% B Fund after one year.

Hope this helps,
Herewegoagain.

Latest resources

Back