AirTran Pax Complaints right there with Flyi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
crosscut said:
Ya look like you might be a classmate of mine. Can you spell your initials?

initials RD, hired in 5/98.

FL717 said:
A little over a year ago when I was still a Captain on the 717, I showed up in a city that will remain unnamed (I'll give you a hint... the first name sounded like "ort", and the second name sounded like "auderdale"), and went to the gate that had our Flight Number and Destination posted.

The seating area looked like a medivac triage unit. The line at the Gate counter had to total 30-40 people.... not counting the people seated waiting for the line to thin out.

The gate agent...ignoring the long line of passengers infront of him (while talking on his cell phone), tells me that we are going out of the next gate, and our plane was running 45 minutes late..

My reply is "Then....why don't we update this "ELECTRONIC" departure sign behind the gate?" He obviously was not talking to his Phone-a-friend because his response to me was not the correct answer.

I decided to poll the audience.... within 60 seconds I had the on duty station supervisor on my phone (he was downstairs doing paperwork...oh yeah). He immediately blamed Airport Operations. I gave him 2 minutes to get this debacle professionally fixed however it took to be rectified.... or he would not like who I was going to call next on MY Phone-a-Friend list. I stood there and made an announcement that our flight was going out of the next gate, and I stated approximately what time. I stood in the line and answered questions briefly..... and almost EVERY person in that line was satisfied and left the line. They just wanted information. Within minutes this sign and the gate sign next door was miraculously showing accurate information.

BTW - At no time on my list of ways to solve this was the urge or need to log into Flightinfo. Go figure.

The point being.... there are people (myself included) that will put our hats on and do the "right" thing...... BUT.....BUT...... there is NOT a single company in the world that has 100% totally efficient in regards to equipment, operations and/or staff.

We have to work with what we have.... and complaining on the internet solves nothing. And if you just want to vent.... thats one thing..... but before you log onto the world wide web.... why don't you actually tale steps to address and solve the problem rather than just b!tch to whoever will listen.

To single out one airline...... then lets face reality here.... it happens everywhere, to every airline..... perod. I've got stories about bad experiences on every single domestic carrier in business. I also have good ones. So what.

Great job!! Those folks have probably continued to fly Airtran due to your concern about there well being and need for information. It is no suprise your company has done well and will continue to.

FL717 said:
the first name sounded like "ort", and the second name sounded like "auderdale"

Duuuuude, it's like Dayja VOO. I'm like sittin here throwin down another brew and like I like fart a little and it sounds like "ort" Freaking wierd, my brother from some Airtranny Mother. Den it's like another one starts like brewin up inside me and uhoh spagetti-oh, "auderdale"!!!!!!! Freaking wierd how it came out soundin like dat Dude.

Duuude, I gots to go, I'm thinkin dat "auderdale" squirted out a little, bad Kharma, Dude.

Having started as an agent at AirTran I can honestly say that we lack in several key areas in ATL Cust Service.....but then again with regards to our outstations, they have no clue what its like to work in ATL and push 200 flights out in a single day and deal with the complaints, screaming, drunk pax and the daily ATC delays. I think we could improve though in some areas...

#1) The proper management for the concourse-> everyday we'd have a daily briefing about the load factor, key flights with VIP's, what areas we needed to work on, what happened the day before, etc...and EVERYDAY it was the same old speech with NO motivation, NO team building and NO care for our worries or suggestions we might have had on a matter...the managers would hear what they wanted to hear, offer a suggestion which in many instances made no sense and move on without hesitation....later on in the night while we'd be out busting our butts they'd be in their offices laughing, eating, and worrying about silly things INSTEAD of working the concourse making sure agents were covered or lending a helping hand to those who needed it which brings me to # 2.) STAFFING-> 22 gates on C concourse, 6 on D and basically 1 agent per gate...each gate on a normal night has 4-5 overbooked or full flights. And with flow control into ATL every day each turn ends up being a quick turn(30 mins) and with one person thats impossible.
3.) Hiring-> I know for $8.75 starting pay you're not going to get the cream of the crop when it comes to customer services pros but some of the agents, I admit, have the worst attitudes/personalities I've ever seen.....I remember when I interviewed I was so nervous and wondered if I would make it and then I saw these others and wondered how they sat in that same seat as I had and make a good enough impression for someone to say "You're hired".

However, having said this...for the amount of bulls*it the agents put up with in ATL, it could be a lot worse with over 200 daily flights and 1 to each gate. I also know a lot of great, dedicated agents who love their jobs and provide excellent service and those are the ones that are helping us build more success. Sure don't miss it though....I'll take the ops tower anyday over a LGA or EWR flight!:cool:

Citrus531,
Thanks for that perspective. It does seem like a the gates are understaffed at times. I definitely appreciate the folks out there that are making things happen the right way for safety and the customer.
Good on ya!

Willie - in ATL is 'one' of the best !.... Keep up the good work !....

There are some good ones.... They should be commended and rewarded. Change the culture management... They are waiting for your leadership. Set the standard folks... raise the bar...

Thanks for listening..

What were the CAL no's, Lowercur ? I believe we had one of the lowest mishandled bad counts of any airline ?

Latest resources

Back