AirTran orders more 737s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly-By-Cable

AirTran Airways Orders 15 New Boeing 737 AircraftORLANDO, Fla., May 23, 2007 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced that the airline has ordered 15 new Boeing (NYSE: BA) 737-700 series aircraft, delivery of which is scheduled to take place in 2011 and 2012. The airline currently operates 132 aircraft, 45 of which are Boeing 737-700 series aircraft and 87 of which are Boeing 717-200 aircraft, comprising America's youngest all-Boeing fleet. Including this announcement, AirTran has ordered a total of 115 Boeing 737-700s. "AirTran Airways is committed to our long-range growth plan, and this order will provide the needed aircraft that will allow the airline to move forward with our strategic expansion while maintaining our business model of providing affordable, high-quality air travel through 2012," commented Joe Leonard, AirTran Airways' chairman and chief executive officer. "We continue to add new markets, new routes, and new planes, much to the delight of our loyal customers."

"AirTran Airways is proud to maintain our long-standing partnership with The Boeing Company for the benefit of our Crew Members and customers. The fuel-efficient, environmentally-friendly Boeing 737 is a proven, reliable cost-efficient aircraft," Leonard added.

"Orders from successful airlines, such as AirTran Airways, reaffirm the continued strong market support for the Next Generation 737 and its superior economics compared to similar aircraft of its type," said Ray Conner, Vice President, Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes.

The Boeing 737 is the world's most popular jet aircraft. AirTran Airways' Boeing 737 seats 137 passengers and is equipped with premium Recaro seats in the airline's signature two-by-two award-winning Business Class (12 seats) and coach seats (125 seats), with free XM Satellite Radio. Similar to the Boeing 717, the Boeing 737 features EasyFit overhead bins with plenty of storage space for passengers' carry-on bags.

Nice Timing

I like the timing of this. Here's a crap contract but LOOK! an order for more planes! pay no attention to the crappy contract

so much for midwests theory that we have no place to put the airplanes we already had on order. Sounds as though they have a plan to me either that or they are really confident about this midwest deal. Those that were worried it would affect their upgrade I wouldn't think they need to be worried now..

Just because we're getting more equipment does not mean we need or should accept a mediocre contract -- and that's being downright polite (calling it mediocre -- I've heard its more like a pos). 'Nuff said here.

Just because we're getting more equipment does not mean we need or should accept a mediocre contract -- and that's being downright polite (calling it mediocre -- I've heard its more like a pos). 'Nuff said here.

scope scope scope.

Latest resources

Back