AirTran or Spirit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm guessing that........

he is referring to Johnny (Jack Hoff) Orenstein..... From Indigo... He is there.... But apparently he has no real say, so far..... Again, so far....

Do some research and find out who bought a majority share in Spirit six months ago or so...

"...since Indigo Partners became Spirit's major shareholder in July (2006), along with William Franke taking over as chairman..." -Aviation Week, 01/24/07

I have been unable to find a "missing link" between JO and Indigo or Oaktree Capital (majority/minority owners of Spirit). That said, these hedge funds have so many complicating layers that it's hard to figure out who owns/controls who.

Now, Bill Franke doesn't have the greatest reputation with pilot groups (ask any America West pilot), but I don't see him as dangerous or outright unscrupulous as JO. Time will tell on this one...

Our negotiating committee is hard at work right now trying to get us a fair and reasonable contract to work under. From a "worker bee's" perspective, our current contract is not at all bad, albeit under par on compensation (especially for FOs). Descent duty/trip rigs, min days off (12 and 13), and minimum 4 days off in a row (great if you commute like me). Also, open time pickup is at 150%, JA is at 200%...great extra money if you're needing it.

The current contract was a concessionary contract like everyone else's from this timeframe. Remember, Spirit then was much different than Spirit now...no real identity/business model, old aircraft, different management that had minimal experience with making an airline profitable. The current contract was meant to keep jobs, not "bathe in the wealth". We are early in the game of negotiations, and the typical back-and-forth is occuring...it's too early yet to claim that the sky is falling.

Of course, you could always go to AirTran, where their management learned everything they know from Satan himself, Frank Lorenzo...

My point is this: neither pilot group is going to be handed a cushy contract from either management; more than likely, neither airline will shut down due to labor concerns...have faith in your negotiating teams and let time do what time does.

Now, I hope that scared you enough to say screw it and go get that law degree Mama always wanted you to have...

gator

Of course, you could always go to AirTran, where their management learned everything they know from Satan himself, Frank Lorenzo...
HEY! How DARE you bash our,,, umm,,, nevermind. ;)

My point is this: neither pilot group is going to be handed a cushy contract from either management; more than likely, neither airline will shut down due to labor concerns...have faith in your negotiating teams and let time do what time does.
Ayuh, that's about it.

Now, I hope that scared you enough to say screw it and go get that law degree Mama always wanted you to have...

gator

SHOULD have done the trick,,, but probably won't. :D

Both airlines are probably going to have very similar career tracks to CA, including pay and benefits (although the 150% trip pickup is a NICE way to supplement your income if you can bid a low-time line and don't mind working extra).

Pick which one has the better mix of flying and domiciles for you, then don't look back!

I was in a similar position a few years ago. I was offered Airtran and then class was postponed due to delivery dates with the 737. Spirit then called. I was in DTW and was dreading the thought of commuting or living in ATL. I could have been a Captain in 3 years at Airtran but I am still 1 to 2 years away from Captain at Spirit. Both are still growing but I really think your upgrade could be quicker at Spirit today. That said I would factor in commuting, living in domicile, etc. That's huge.

It's rumored that a bunch of Spirit pilots are in the pipeline for Virgin American. We also have furloughed pilots from all majors that are coming up on decision time as well as a few (like myself) who are moving to different pastures. This could really create some movement in the ranks. Good luck on your decision.

Also, Spirit is going to announce some very interesting new cities shortly to both Central and South America and not all the flying is going to be done from FLL.

Last edited:
RE:Spirit

Hi,
I just applied to spirit as a Flight Attendant. A couple of months ago they invited me to an open house in
FLL I couldnt attend, but now this is opened again, but out of Atlantic City, NJ as a sallelite base? I am going to that interview now no matter what happens!!! any other info on Spirit?

I was in a similar position a few years ago. I was offered Airtran and then class was postponed due to delivery dates with the 737. Spirit then called. I was in DTW and was dreading the thought of commuting or living in ATL. I could have been a Captain in 3 years at Airtran but I am still 1 to 2 years away from Captain at Spirit. Both are still growing but I really think your upgrade could be quicker at Spirit today. That said I would factor in commuting, living in domicile, etc. That's huge.

It's rumored that a bunch of Spirit pilots are in the pipeline for Virgin American. We also have furloughed pilots from all majors that are coming up on decision time as well as a few (like myself) who are moving to different pastures. This could really create some movement in the ranks. Good luck on your decision.

Also, Spirit is going to announce some very interesting new cities shortly to both Central and South America and not all the flying is going to be done from FLL.

I hope by different pastures you mean another air carrier... Or maybe you agreed with your mother and you are going to law school...........

I hope by different pastures you mean another air carrier... Or maybe you agreed with your mother and you are going to law school...........

Well... I was gonna say "greener" pastures but it's really "Browner". My wicked step-mother didn't want to give up her free travel.... I'll put her in a brown box and send her to Inchon!!:0

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back