AIRTRAN on the move again!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sabre60

For all of you AIRTAN hopefuls waiting for the phone to ring: I talked to one of my MIDWAY buddies a couple of hours ago. He told me that Greta had called him to offer an August 12 class date. I hope this bodes well for some of the rest of you playing the waiting game!:D

The info I got was that they needed to "drain the pool" of the people that have been waiting all year (since March) for a class. I have no idea how many were on the list of people already interviewed and waiting for class. I have been told the class on August 12 is approximately 20-25 people, but got two different responses as far as equipment. One source... a vacancy notice says class of 23 for the 717, another source... management type said 20 DC-9 types. I do know for a fact that once they get to the bottom of that list, they will resume interviews to keep the supply chain intact. (They have literally thousands of resumes).

All you trying to get on... good luck and keep trying. This airline really is a good place to work. Not the perfect place... but name an airline where EVERYBODY is always happy?

FL717...

Yep, some of us have been waiting all year. I interviewed in Jan and had an original class date in Feb. I'm very excited that class may be starting soon, after several false starts.

Interesting that you heard the new hire class may be 20 DC9s. The reason we were given that the new hire classes kept getting postponed was that they were retiring the DC9s early, and needed to transition current DC9 guys to the 717. Seems odd then, that they would train new hires on the DC9. No matter....I'm just very excited to be finally going to class.

As far as the number of people waiting in the pool, I think originally it was around 35, but that's a number I had heard several months ago. Not sure if that's an accurate number now.

Sorry to hear that you're still waiting. The last class we ran was Feb 4 - all 717. A good friend of mine was in that class, and he is still waiting for more new hires so he can maybe get off reserve.

I understood it the same way as you in regards to the postponement of new hire classes due to DC-9 retirement schedule, and transitioning current people over to the 717.... BUT... I know that right now we are short DC-9 FO's. There is a memo in the crew lounge asking DC-9 Captains to please volunteer to fly trips from the right seat because of the shortage. What happened is that we let people (especially FO's) move off the DC-9, and yet we have not retired the -9's in an equal pace with the transitions. This has led to many stories regarding what/where/who is going what/where/who.

It appears on the surface to me and alot of people that there is very poor logistical planning in this company. It has appeared to be like that for some time..... but I also believe that as a company, this can be a strength. I do not believe thay are that incompetent. I believe that they literally think certain operational specific things out daily, believe that management doesn't care what the appearance is, only the fact that they can change logistically on a dime to adapt to the market and economy, regardless of how it looks, and who it inconveniences. This is the difference of a "relatively" small compnay such as us, versus "large" airlines. Since I'm just a line puke I cannot confirm this... only my opinion.

Hope you get a call soon.

Interviews

I spoke to Greta back on the 9th of July and she said that interviews would probably start again in late September or early October. I REALLY hope that is true. All I want is the opportunity to interview with them. At least then it's up to me to either get or lose the job. I don't even care which airplane they would put me in.

BTW, I was at the job fair back on May 18th. Does anyone know one of the recruiters named Matt? I cannot remember his last name. I really would like to get a hold of him. If anyone knows his last name, please send me a private message. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Menace:cool:

A-Train

Had a Airtran -9 F/O on the jumpseat today. Confirmed the pool has been called for training. Said. "I will be locked in the -9" "I will upgrade in the -9" all new hires will go to 717. They are going to get 17 ex-TWA 717's! Crew room renovations in BWI for new BWI crew Base(rumor)???? Will start interviewing in Sept?

The August 12th class will be going to the 717. I just talked to our head of sim training over at Flight Safety in Atlanta tonight.

FYI

Ass't chief pilot told me Friday the Aug class will be all 717, 20 I believe.

One thing is for sure around here, expect changes.

Latest resources

Back