• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran, Midwest Merger DEAD!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is Midwest the only airline started in the 80's that is still around?

Kind of. I think they are considered the longest lasting new carrier since deregulation. Although, I couldn't name another carrier still around that was started in the 80's. Either way. Coming up on 25 years. Born out of Kimberly-Clark's (paper products) corporate department. IPO sometime in the late 90's.

Is Midwest the only airline started in the 80's that is still around?

Technically Southwest and Midwest are the only survivors after the deregulation event. Yes, Southwest is older but was only intrastate (Texas). Many have come and gone or merged. JetAmerica, Muse, Morris, People's, New York Air, Texas Int'l, Air Florida, PSA (intrastate CA), Republic (Southern, North Central, Hughes Airwest), and many more.

So here's a question:

How are taxes figured for the shareholder in a deal like this?

In the cash/stock scenario, is only the cash gain ($9.50-$x) factored in now, and the stock side would be declared when the AAI stock is sold?

In the TPG deal, the gain between $16 and the original purchase price is the factor, right (ie $16-$x)?

The stock holders are going to pay taxes one way or another, unless, of course, they are Al Capone, Wesley Snipes, or Daryl Strawberry. ;)

Reuters

Midwest Air investor concerned about TPG offer
Tuesday August 14, 7:50 am ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pequot Capital Management Inc., a large shareholder in Midwest Air Group Inc. (AMEX:MEH - News), said on Tuesday it has "significant concerns" about the airline's decision to pursue a takeover bid by TPG Capital and Northwest Airlines Corp. (NYSE:NWA - News).

"We are not convinced that this taxable, all-cash indication of interest is superior" to the cash-and-stock offer from AirTran Holdings Inc. (NYSE:AAI - News), Pequot Capital, which owns 8.8 percent of Midwest, said in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

(Reporting by Chris Reiter)

well you are being hit with a capital gain tax right away with the $16 TPG deal. with airtran you were getting hit with a prorated (9/15.75) capital gain and then will have a future capital gain once the airtran stock was sold.

with a democrat potentially coming into the white house next year capital gain rates most likely will go up in the future so i fail to see their "concerns". what does pequot want? tim could have said, "f you" by state law i am protected and they would have got nothing except diluted shares.

The saga of Midwest Air's (MEH : Midwest Express Holdings, Inc.

"In addition, we fail to see how TPG and Northwest will be able to match the job creation and growth opportunities promised by Airtran," the letter read.
And that is why I do not understand this deal other than NorthWest's effort to control a competitor and possibly strip mine some assets.

Yes. Not enough for huge expansion, but enough to add a few cherry picked routes.

Latest resources

Back