• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ticker

U.S. Carrier On-Time Rate Improves, But Some Airports Still Lagging

Aviation Daily Sep 10 , 2009 , p. 09
Andrew Compart

The on-time arrival rate for U.S. airlines improved to 77.6% in July for
domestic flights, better than June’s 76.1% rate and last July’s 75.7%
figure, the U.S. Transportation Dept. reported Tuesday.

But travelers to certain airports faced more uncertainty about their
arrival times.

Alaska ranked highest among the major U.S. carriers, and second among
all carriers, at 87.2%. That continues a big turnaround for Alaska,
which ranked 17th among all carriers for the fourth quarter of 2008 and
the first quarter of 2009, but which has since consistently risen to the
top tier.

Southwest ranked second among the major carriers in July at 80.7%, and
US Airways third at 80.6%.

The bottom three among the majors were JetBlue at 73.1%, American at
72.2% and AirTran at 69.8%.

New York-area airports continued to have congestion problems, with
on-time arrival rates of 67.5% for Newark, 68.1% for New York Kennedy
and 66.3% for LaGuardia. Other airports below 70% were Boston at 68.2% and Miami at 69.8%.

I wish they would show the stats of all the flights we delayed on purpose to get thousands of late connections coming into Atlanta.

U.S. Carrier On-Time Rate Improves, But Some Airports Still Lagging

Aviation Daily Sep 10 , 2009 , p. 09
Andrew Compart

The on-time arrival rate for U.S. airlines improved to 77.6% in July for
domestic flights, better than June’s 76.1% rate and last July’s 75.7%
figure, the U.S. Transportation Dept. reported Tuesday.

But travelers to certain airports faced more uncertainty about their
arrival times.

Alaska ranked highest among the major U.S. carriers, and second among
all carriers, at 87.2%. That continues a big turnaround for Alaska,
which ranked 17th among all carriers for the fourth quarter of 2008 and
the first quarter of 2009, but which has since consistently risen to the
top tier.

Southwest ranked second among the major carriers in July at 80.7%, and
US Airways third at 80.6%.

The bottom three among the majors were JetBlue at 73.1%, American at
72.2% and AirTran at 69.8%.

New York-area airports continued to have congestion problems, with
on-time arrival rates of 67.5% for Newark, 68.1% for New York Kennedy
and 66.3% for LaGuardia. Other airports below 70% were Boston at 68.2% and Miami at 69.8%.

Gonna be hard to be the #1 rated airline with those kinds of numbers. I wonder if managment is watching? Id like to see the cancelations as well.

I wish they would show the stats of all the flights we delayed on purpose to get thousands of late connections coming into Atlanta.

I sure by that you mean on purpose because of insufficient pilot staffing, inefficient use of reserves, combining to cause so many pilots to be timed out that we were canceling 20+ flights per day due to lack of crews. Other than that, I wouldn't know what you were talking about.

I sure by that you mean on purpose because of insufficient pilot staffing, inefficient use of reserves, combining to cause so many pilots to be timed out that we were canceling 20+ flights per day due to lack of crews. Other than that, I wouldn't know what you were talking about.

I wasn't talking about anything relating to those issues....

I'm talking working the passenger connections position in the Command Center and about the stress of looking at every inbound coming into ATL....20 late conx coming from PHF connecting to MIA with an 8 min connect time....placing a 15 min station hold on that MIA flight to accomodate the pax.....7 pax from MCO trying to catch the last PHL flight of the night and their inbound is scheduled to leave at the same time....38 to BUF...15 to LAX...7 aisle whcrs trying to get to RSW and SOC wants to push 10 early..etc etc etc

....I'm talking working the passenger connections position in the Command Center and about the stress of looking at every inbound coming into ATL....20 late conx coming from PHF connecting to MIA with an 8 min connect time....placing a 15 min station hold on that MIA flight to accomodate the pax.....7 pax from MCO trying to catch the last PHL flight of the night and their inbound is scheduled to leave at the same time....38 to BUF...15 to LAX...7 aisle whcrs trying to get to RSW and SOC wants to push 10 early..etc etc etc

Sounds complicated.

I wasn't talking about anything relating to those issues....

I'm talking working the passenger connections position in the Command Center and about the stress of looking at every inbound coming into ATL....20 late conx coming from PHF connecting to MIA with an 8 min connect time....placing a 15 min station hold on that MIA flight to accomodate the pax.....7 pax from MCO trying to catch the last PHL flight of the night and their inbound is scheduled to leave at the same time....38 to BUF...15 to LAX...7 aisle whcrs trying to get to RSW and SOC wants to push 10 early..etc etc etc

I feel for ya but it's an airline and each airline has these problems. AirTran's are exacerbated by having ZERO wiggle room in the schedule.

It's unfortunate that the numbers are not further broken down to reflect the efforts of the OC holding planes for the runners trying to catch the last flight out.

Now if I can just figure out how to keep the wisenheimers in back from breaking my stones after doing an auto land...

I flew 4 flight with Airtran last weekend STL-MKE-LGA and the reverse 3 days later each flight was ahead of schedule and we landed at least 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I couldn't have been more pleased with their service.

Guess those signs about being Number 1 airline will be coming down !!

Maybe go ask Gordon on Happy Employees=More money for Mgt. bonuses and the Board !!!

Latest resources

Back