Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

www.

SoCo Guy
CHICAGO, July 7 (Reuters) - AirTran Holdings (AAI.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), parent of AirTran Airways, said on Monday it will cut 300 flight attendant and 180 pilot positions, effective Sept. 6, as part of a cost-savings effort.
The plan, which includes an early exit program for employees of 5 years or more, is expected to save the airline $16 million a year, AirTran said.
The carrier said it was notifying employees on Monday of job cuts that are tied to flight reductions in the September schedule. The cuts affect about 5 percent of Airtran's staff of 8,800.
Top U.S. airlines have announced reduced flights to offset soaring fuel costs, resulting in job cuts throughout the industry.
Airtran's early exit program covers benefits and flight pass privileges for six to 12 months depending on seniority, the carrier said.

Um, not exactly a news flash. 180 out of nearly 1670 pilots. Have you been reading any of the hundred or so other posts on the subject?

CHICAGO, July 7 (Reuters) - AirTran Holdings (AAI.N: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz), parent of AirTran Airways, said on Monday it will cut 300 flight attendant and 180 pilot positions, effective Sept. 6, as part of a cost-savings effort.
The plan, which includes an early exit program for employees of 5 years or more, is expected to save the airline $16 million a year, AirTran said.
The carrier said it was notifying employees on Monday of job cuts that are tied to flight reductions in the September schedule. The cuts affect about 5 percent of Airtran's staff of 8,800.
Top U.S. airlines have announced reduced flights to offset soaring fuel costs, resulting in job cuts throughout the industry.
Airtran's early exit program covers benefits and flight pass privileges for six to 12 months depending on seniority, the carrier said.

I'm glad you're excited that, "we are next"! Might I suggest the use of a smiley or laughing face to emphasize that you are a d00sh bag when posting information about pilots getting furloughed.

e.g. :D :) :laugh:

Last edited:
I'm glad you're excited that, "we are next"! Might I suggest the use of a smiley or laughing face to emphasize that you are a d00sh bag when posting information about pilots getting furloughed.

ex. :D :) :laugh:

Was not the intent. Just info, not rubbing it in anyones face.

Cuts are coming everywhere...even the regionals. DL is going to cut 15% from each regional or they are going to get out of their contracts.

Go look at regionals on airlinepilotcentral, everyone is cutting jobs.

That has to do with media hipe. They got some VP to quote that nonsense. Kevin Healy, senior vice president of marketing and planning. Does this guy know anything about our staffing model?

If they were gonna furlough all 180 then they would per the warning act probably tell the state of Florida 500 possible furloughes.

Airtran has not announced how many airplanes they are getting rid of. I wish they would specify it. The only thing specifically announced by BF our CEO is that we are keeping 141 airplanes which is what we have now. We are not fat on crews with 141 airplanes. Until I start to see airplanes being sold this is all nonsense.

If they want to furlough for the 2 slow months of Sep and Oct I would call that a financial blunder. I think they want some concessions.

P.S. Oil is down again today!

Last edited:
Kevin Healy is the up-and-comer. After BF and Kolski, he is next in the line. Don't discount anything he says. When a VP starts regularly talking on the quarterly earnings calls, he is, how do you say, "movin' on up!" Don't forget, he is the guy that picks what cities and routes we fly, and what are the prices of the tickets. That was BF's job when he first started here, and at US Air.

Latest resources

Back